The first part of the village's name derives from "Cresson (watercress), whilst the second part honors the Holy Trinity, which the patron saint's day is dedicated to. Together with the district Gressoney Saint Jean, it forms a single cultural and territorial entity.
Mountain village in the province of Aosta, situated at 1600 meters, it is located on the border with Piedmont, in a plain at the foot of Monte Rosa, in the Valle del Lys, one of the longest in the region that takes its name from the stream which descends from Mount Rosa. It is one of the most famous ski resorts of the whole region, with 200 km of tracks, thanks to its proximity to the valleys of Ayas and Alagna and efficient ski lifts. Beyond the ability to engage in winter sports, Gressoney offers the opportunity to make excursions on the Monte Rosa.
The area was inhabited, as most of the entire Val d'Aosta, since ancient times, it belonged to the Celts and the Salassi, people known for their hunting ability and attachment to their independence. The inhabitants resisted with force and tenacity to the Roman conquest: but after years of struggle they had to surrender and accept the victorious seize over their lands. Through the Middle Ages, the village belonged to the Bishops of Sion, the Lords of Vallaise and the Lords of Quart.
On May 09th 1767, the town of Gressoney La Trinité became an independent municipality, but the disputes between the two districts ended only in 1831, when Gressoney La Trinité was under the dominion of the Savoy. The population belongs to the Germanic folk of Walser.
Not to miss:
The Church entitled to the Holy Trinity, which was founded in 1702. It preserves inside a wooden altar of the XVIII century, partially gilded and partially painted, a tabernacle of 1704, a lamp gilded in silver and copper of 1695. The Bell Tower, built in 1819, has a peak about 30 meters high.
The Cemetery, located next to the church and of interest due to the finely worked stones from local sculptors.
The Christ of the Summit, a four-meter high statue, made entirely of bronze, artwork of the sculptor of Turin, Alfred Bai, located at 4170 meters above sea level on the summit of Mount Balmenhorn in the Monte Rosa massif.