The name has Franco-Provençal origins and means area of grassland, being rich in meadows and low-lying areas. Town located in a sunny position, surrounded by chestnut trees, on the right bank of the stream Chalamy of the Dora Baltea, at just over 500 meters above sea level. The town's lands includes a series of small districts surrounded by forests and meadows with wide variety of flora and fauna, including the gold eagle. The main center is located on a promontory, entrance to the Valley of Chalamy. It is known for its copper and pyrite mines, exploited since antiquity, for the green marble quarries and the Nature Park ofMont Avic
Champdepraz's origins date back to prehistoric times, probably in the Neolithic period, since the first populations settled in the Canavese area. From the historical point of view the town is linked to the nearby Montjovet, being part of its territory for a long while. Even the churches depended on the parish of Saint Germain, a district of Montjovet. Only in the XVII century, an independent parish was created, but for some reason some houses in the area of Viering were excluded from its jurisdiction and this created a discord over the years between the communities and the religious authorities themselves. In 1586 Duke Carlo Emanuele I separated the territory of Champdepraz from the fief of Montjovet and so it acquired its independence. At the end of the XVIII century the feudal domains were canceled, as in all municipalities of the Duchy of Aosta.
Not to miss:
The Chapel of Our Lady dell'Attesa in the district of Lo Pian, which was built in 1707.
The Parish Church of St. Francis de Sales, which dates back to the XVII century.
The Chapel of Crestaz.
The Chapel of Chevre, entitled to the Madonna of the Snow, before the proclaim of the parish of Champdepraz, it belonged to the parish of Saint Germain.
The Natural Park Mont Avic, created to safeguard the territory in 1989. Inside it preserves 14 lakes and the largest pine forest in the Val d'Aosta. At the entrance, there is a Visitor Center, a nature museum where it is possible to view movies and photos of the entire environment.
The Civic Museum, built next to the church, exhibits an important collection of ethnographic and naturalistic material, a testimony of the intense mining of the area.