Town in the province of Forlì-Cesena, Modigliana overlooks the border with Tuscany, in the middle valley of Tramazzo, where three rivers join and form the river Marzeno. It was the principal residence of the Counts Guidi until 1377. It belonged to Castrocaro until 1510, when the jurisdiction was ceded to the Commissioner of the Rocca and in 1837, after the restorations completed by the Grand Duke of Tuscany, Leopold II, it was entitled "Noble Town". In the mid XIX century, the Church elected the town as a Bishop's seat, which fueled the strong ecclesiastic culture that still stands. At the time, in the Capuchin monastery, was also established the prestigious Academy of the Incamminati. In 1923, Modigliana was inglobed into the province of Forlì-Cesena.
Sites of Interest:
- the Fortress of the Counts Guidi, also called "Roccaccia", probably built on an existing medieval structure, at the time when the Guidi were Lords of large areas of the central Apennines (XII-XIII century). It features an imposing structure, despite having partially collapsed in 1918;
- the Forum, a unique construction, which consists of two towers and a shrine with a statue of the Madonna, erected on a semi-circular tower;
- the Bridge of San Donato (also called of the Signora). A hump-jack shaped bridge, which was built in the XVIII century to replace a previous one, destroyed by a flood;
- the Capuchin Monastery, founded in 1561 and enlarged and modified several times over the following centuries, until it assumed its present form in the XVIII century. Currently the seat of the Academy of the Incamminati;
- Piazza Pretoria, probably the finest medieval square of the province of Forlì-Cesena, overlooked by the XIV century Praetorian Palace (now the Art Gallery of Silvestro Lega), the former Church of Saints Sebastian and Rocco and Palazzo Borghi built in late Renaissance style;
- the Cathedral, which stands where once was situated the ancient church of Santo Stefano in Juviniano, of which remains only the crypt and already cited in documents of '892. The current building features a XV century interior, divided into three naves, in Baroque style;
- the Shrine of Our Lady of Cantone, dating from the XV century;
- the Oratory of Dead Jesus, currently the Shrine of the Lost at War;
- the Civic Museum, entitled to Giovanni Verità, a patriotic priest of the Risorgimento, who gave shelter to Giuseppe Garibaldi in August 1849, after the historic battles in Romagna.