It is a town in the province of Forlì-Cesena, situated between the upper Valley of the Savio and the Valley of Bidente, bounded by the steep ridges of the Apennines, on the border with Tuscany. The presence of settlements go back to the Eneolithic and the Bronze Ages, as the inhabitants were particularly attracted by the hot springs and the surrounding environment. Here subsequently settled the Umbrians, that were defeated, in 266 B.C., by the Romans, who built a "balneum", a sophisticated spa that exploited the curative properties of thermal springs. After the fall of the Roman Empire, Bagno di Romagna, like most Italian cities, was pillaged and destroyed by the Barbarians.
Bagno di Romagna, that in 872 already had a Parish church dedicated to St. Mary, received a papal bulletin of Pope Adrian II, that allowed, in addition, the construction of a Benedictine monastery. In 1299 it passed to the Camaldolese monks, that looked after the Abbey of Santa Maria Assunta until 1808.
Sites of Interest:
- Basilica of Santa Maria Assunta, mentioned in 872, has undergone several renovations over the centuries: the Romanesque style, in fact, are visible only outside. It is a single nave plan and restorations, that took place in the fifties of the XX century, have brought back to the light an ancient Romanesque portal with side columns, which had been covered during the Renaissance. Inside is preserved a triptych of Neri Bicci (1455), a polychrome terracotta statue representing St. Agnes, by Andrea della Robbia and a terracotta relief from the workshop of Donatello;
- the Parish Church of St. Peter in Vinculis, consecrated in 1936 and which has replaced the previous construction of the XIII century, which was seriously damaged and in poor conditions;
- the Church of the Franciscans at San Piero in Bagno, reopened for worship in 1941, after a series of renovations made to recover from the damages of an earthquake in 1918;
- the Church of Saints Peter and Paul, rebuilt in 1924 after the damages suffered by the earthquake of 1918, that features an exterior of stone walls and a Romanesque portal;
- the Shrine of Our Lady of Corzano, built in the mid XIX century to preserve and venerate an image of the Madonna and Child, depicted in a XV century fresco in a church that stood in the ruins of the abandoned castle.
- the ruins of the Fortress of Corzano, that belonged to the Accounts of Guidi and was already mentioned in the XII century;
- the ruins of the Fortress of Montegranelli, located on the hill of the same name;
- the ruins of the Fortress of Rondinaia;
- the XIV century Castle Walls;
- the remains of the Porta Fiorentina;
- the several mansions (Palazzo Biozzi, Palazzo Giommoni, Palazzo Giovannetti; Palazzo Rivalta, Palazzo Pesarini, the City Hall, Palazzo del Capitano, Palazzo Salucci-Malvisi).