In the province of Forlì-Cesena, Meldola is an active town located in foothills of the valley of the river Bidente-Ronco. Due to its geographical position, since ancient times, it was a meeting place between the inhabitants of Umbria, Gauls and Etruscans. Submitted to Roman rule (which is likely to identify with the ancient "Castrum Mutilum" mentioned by Tito Livio), in 998 was ceded to the Archbishops of Ravenna by Otto III and Gregory V. Subsequently it submitted the domain of the Malatesta, the Aldobrandini and Doria Landi Pamphili.
Sites of Interest:
- the Rocca di Meldola, situated in an area of limestone of marine origin and dominates the village. Leonello Pio da Carpi transformed it from a fortress to a noble residence;
- the Fortress of Caminate, located at the top of a hill on the border with the town of Predappio. Built on the ruins of an ancient castle, which fell into disrepair and was demolished after the French Revolution. It was rebuilt in its present form and was donated by the Region of Romagna to Benito Mussolini in 1929;
- the Castle of Teodorano, which has XI century origins, was the center of several disputes due to its strategic location. In 1502 it was conquered by Caesar Borgia, who had fortified walls erected around the main centre;
- the ruins of Castelnuovo, a fortress already mentioned in documents of the X century;
- the Church of St. Nicholas, whose earliest records date back to 1180;
- the Church of San Francesco, rebuilt in 1670 on the ruins of a previous building of the XIII century, always dedicated to the same Saint of Assisi. It is flanked by a cloister, whose porch is supported by slender columns;
- the Church of St. Cosmas (1780), inside which it is possible to admire artworks of the convent church of San Domenico;
- the Church of the Oratory, with a superb Baroque facade;
- the Church of the Madonna del Sasso (1523), desecrated for a long time and, after recent restoration, is seat of a Museum entitled to the Environment;
- the former Pawnshop (XVI century);
- the former Hospital (XVII century), whose façade was designed by Giovanni Battista Aleotti, known as the Argenta;
- the Loggia Aldobrandini, overlooking Piazza Orsini, built in 1609 by Aldobrandini, replacing a part of the city walls;
- the Venetian Bridge, on the river Bidente;
- Palazzo Doria Pamphili (XVIII century).