An important fishing port in the province of Ferrara, located on the northeastern border of the Regional Park of the Po Delta, Goro has a relatively recent history: the town, in fact, developed in the second half of the XVIII century, on the right bank of the Po, between the river and the sea, in a marshy area that, at the time, featured a series of dunes. The port is located in a bay of the lagoon of Goro, in an area of about 26kmq with an average depth of 5 feet. It is bounded by a natural dam that opens to the sea with a mouth wide about 2.5 km.
Its history is the result of the ongoing struggle of man against the continuous erosion of the river and the sea, as evidenced by the presence of hydraulic propelled artifacts (Torre Palù, Torre Abate, Balanzetta and the sewer of the Agrifoglio) and the lighthouses or "Lights of the sailors" (the Lanterna Vecchia and the new lighthouse of Goro).
From here depart several boats with the intention to discover the natural beauties of the delta, down the river to the sea, between islands, sandbanks and reeds, a privileged place for bird watching.
Sites of Interest:
- the Casa del Popolo, located in the XIX century main centre, is an important gathering place for the inhabitants, having been, since the early years of the XX century, seat of the Social Corporate League for Fishermen;
- the Lighthouse of Goro, which replaced the Old Lighthouse, built to inform of the presence of a new strip of land. The first was demolished in 1945 by the German army in retreat, was replaced by a new building erected in 1950: it is a cylindrical structure about 22 meters high with a light visible at 10 miles distance;
- the Torre Palù, built in the first half of the XVIII century, to drain the water of the White Canal into the sea and to prevent the return of sea water at high tide. It is one of the best preserved buildings of its kind;
- the Nature Park of the Po Delta, established in 1988;
- the Woods of Mesola;
- the Marsh Valleys.