Montegridolfo is a small town in the province of Rimini, located on the border with the Marche, along the ridge that divides the Valley del Conca from the Valley del Foglia. It seems that originally the name was Monte Loro, for the conspicuous presence in the area of laurel trees, turned, later, into Montegridolfo, with the arrival of the powerful noble family of Rimini "Gridolfi" which, in the XIII century, settled in these lands between Marche and Emilia Romagna.
Mentioned for the first time in a document dated 1148, between the XIII and XIV centuries the castle Montegridolfo was repeatedly looted and damaged, during the clashes between the troops of the Malatesta and those of Montefeltro, for disagreements within the same family of Malatesta. Over the centuries, the town submitted the domain of the Malatesta, the Montefeltro, the Borgia, the SerenissimaRepublic of Venice and the Papal States. In 1769, Friar Lorenzo of Montegridolfo became Pope with the name of Pope Clement XIV. After the Napoleonic period, the domain returned to the Church and in 1859, the town was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy.
Sites of Interest:
- the Castle of Montegridolfo, inside which the old village developed, enclosed within its walls, flanked by tall watch-towers;
- the Church of San Rocco (1427), situated at the foot of the castle's walls and features a beautiful ogival portal and inside preserves the image of the Black Madonna and a painting by Guido Cagnacci depicting the Madonna and Child adored by Saints Sebastian, Rocco and Giacinto;
- the Church of St. Peter, built before year 1000 and rebuilt after World War II, contains a valuable XV century fresco of an anonymous author;
- the Shrine of Our Lady of Grace, erected in the XVI century after the miraculous apparition of the Virgin Mary to a young man and a local peasant.