Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Emilia Romagna Adriatic Coast and surroundings Bellaria-Igea Marina

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Bellaria-Igea Marina

Description

Town in the province of Rimini, Bellaria-Igea Marina is one of the most famous seaside touristic resorts on the Adriatic coast, protected by the hills of Romagna (on clear days, it is also possible to see the peaks of Monte Titano of the Republic of San Marino -about 40 kilometers) and shallow and safe sea depths with wide sandy beaches.
Bellaria appears for the first time a document of 1359, in which is evidenced the presence of a fortified farm, no longer visible; the name Igea Marina, instead, derives from the name of the mythological daughter of the god of medicine Aclepio: chosen in the first years of the XX century by the physician of Rimini, Vittorio Belli , son of a family with agricultural and trading traditions, who planned the construction of this resort in a lush pine forest, situated between the stream Uso and Torre Pedrera. It became municipality in 1956 and incorporated another four districts that previously belonged to Rimini: Bellaria with Igea Marina, Bordonchio, Cagnona and Borgata Vecchia).

Sites of Interest:
- the Saracen Tower of Bellaria, built in the XVI century, by the Papal States to defend the population against the continuous Turkish raids. Today it is the seat of the Museum of Shells;
- the Casa Rossa (Red House), the Summer residence of the writer Alfredo Panzini, currently open to the public and the seat of Accademy of Panzini;
- the Parish Church of San Martino in Bordonchio, built between the XVIII and XIX centuries, near to the ancient Parish of San Martino in Bordunclo, which was already mentioned in documents before year 1000. The interior features decorative elements of the XVII century, a XIX century organ and several valuable paintings and pieces of furniture of the XVIII century;
- the Church of Santa Margherita, built on request of Verucchio Malatesta (known as the centenario) in honor of his third wife and flanked by a characteristic XVIII century triangular-shaped Bell Tower;
- the XIX century Benelli Castle, built by Peter Spina in a XV century style, in the place where the ancient Castrum Libani was located;
- the Abbey of Donegallia, founded around 1200 by the order Olivetano of Benedictine monks. It was submitted, at first, to the Parish of Bordonchio, then to the Abbey of the Holy Spirit and finally to the one of Scolca. In the period of its major prosperity, during the XV century, it administrated over a very large territory. Of the old complex, today remains only part of the fortified walls embedded in the buildings of more recent construction. Still visible is the apse of the church of Santa Maria;
- the Nature Parks of Del Gesso and Pavese.

Map

This town web page has been visited 35,936 times.

Choose language

italiano

english