Fiuggi is a well known spa resort in the province of Frosinone, located at the foot of the Ernici Mountains and is surrounded by a dense vegetation, rich of chestnut trees. The current name, adopted in 1911, to replace the previous one "Anticoli di Campagna", derives from the Latin "fluvius" (river). The municipal district consists of two centers: the City of Fiuggi (the oldest) and the more modern Fiuggi Fonte, area where the thermal spa fonts spring.
Pliny the Elder, in writing of 27 A.D., already praises the therapeutic properties of the waters of Fiuggi ("Fiugi inter collium Ernicorum aquam saluberrimam"; Pope Boniface VIII was a frequent visitor, as well as Michelangelo Buonarroti, who, in a letter to his nephew Leonardo, explains "how the water breaks the stone" (probably referring to kidney stones),.
Although the area was inhabited by Pelasgian, as evidenced by the discovery of the remains the small pile dwelling village of "Felcia" (fern), which developed around the VI and V centuries B.C. and inhabited by the Ernici (an antique Italic population) , defeated and colonized by the Romans in 367 B.C. In 1088-1089 Pope Urban II confirmed all the privileges of Anticoli to the bishop of Anagni and throughout the XIII century, it was still property of the Holy See, while the Valley Anticolana was ceded in fief to the Cajetani Family. In 1501 Alexander VI granted Anticoli to his daughter Lucrezia, then to Cesare, and finally to his nephew, Giovanni Borgia until 1503. On February 22nd, 1517, the fief was assigned to Pietro Morgani, captain of the archers of Julius II, who acquired with the Pope's successor Leo X, the lease of the Castle of Anticoli di Campagna. In 1556 the territories passed to the Carafa, while with Pope Pius V, in 1571, they were reassigned to the Colonna. It was proclaimed Municipality in the XVIII century.
Sites of interest:
- the charming medieval old town, enclosed within fortified walls, today only partially visible and a series of alleys, streets, plazas and houses that intersect with each other;
- the Church of Santa Chiara, built in the XVIII century in place of an existing religious building;
- the Collegiate Church of St. Peter the Apostle, built in the XVII century on the site of a church dedicated to Saint Lucia, in which are preserved some remarkable artworks of the Roman school of the XVII century;
- the Church of San Biagio, from very ancient origins, in which it is possible to admire a painting of the Cavalier d'Arpino, a font made from a Romanesque capital and a fresco by Giotto's school;
- the XIII century Church of St Stephen;
- the Sanctuary of the Madonna della Stella (XVII century);
- the modern Town Hall, built in 1925 in Renaissance style;
- the numerous noble palaces with stone doorways and mullioned windows on the façades;
- Palazzo De Medici, inside whose walls is located the "Well of virgins" where, according to tradition, the young wives, that were not willing to submit "ius primae noctis" imposed by the feudal lord of duty, found their death;
- Porta della Portella, which is the only existing gateway entrance to the old centre;
- the spa complex, with the source of Bonifacio VIII and Fonte Anticolana, whose waters are particularly indicated for the prevention and treatment of gout, kidney and urinary problems, as well as in detoxification treatments.