In the province of Trento, Borgo Valsugana (Burg im Suganertal in German) is the main centre of the Valsugana area and offers one of the most beautiful housing estates between the landscape of the Trentino region. The town, situated on the slopes of Mount Ciolino, is crossed by the River Brenta and dominated by the presence of Castel Telvana.
From an urban point of view, the centre preserves its typical medieval appearance, characterized by a maze of alleys, hallways, doorways and courtyards, while, along the ancient imperial Roman road (corso Ausugum) extend a series of palaces and mansions in austere Renaissance and Baroque styles.
Inhabited since the Bronze Age, by Rhaetian and Veneto populations, the area of Valsugana was colonized by the Romans around the I century A.D. During the Ages of the Empire, the valley was known as Vallis Ausuganea, of which, still today, the main street preserves the name. Since the late medieval times, the Valsugana area was an important trading passage, that, for this reason, in the XIV century, was the subject of bitter disputes between the Counts of Tyrol and the Veneto cities, being assigned each time to the domain of a lord. Assigned to the Holy Roman Empire, the town became later a possession granted to the Dukes of Austria, who fortified this outpost on the border between Austria and Italy, which centuries later, was scenario of the war front during the First War World. In 1918, the territories were annexed to the Kingdom of Italy.
Sites of Interest:
- the Deacon Church of the Nativity of Mary, probably built before year 1000;
- the Oratory of San Rocco, whose interior was frescoed, in 1516, by Francesco Corradi;
- the Sanctuary of Onea, built in the XVII century, preserves within frescoes by Lorenzo Fiorentini;
- the Church of San Lorenzo, built in the early Middle Ages and features inside a beautiful coffered ceiling with frescoes;
- the Permanent Exhibition of the Great War in Valsugana and Lagorai, located in the former mill Spagolla.