Town of the Valtellina area, in the province of Sondrio, Villa di Tirano is located at the foot of the Rhaetian Alps, in a nice sunny position, surrounded by vineyards (where the most popular wines Valtellina DOC are produced) and apple orchards. Already mentioned in a document dated 1164 as Pieve di Villa, it formerly belonged to the Traspes Family, and then to the Beccaria. Villa di Tirano was an important trading station, being located along the passage of the Via Valeriana (which connected Como through the entire Valtellina to the Bernina Pass) and along the road which connects the town with the Aprica Pass.
Not to miss:
- the Collegiate Church of San Lorenzo (XVII-XIX century), which preserves inside fine artworks and flanked by a Bell tower in Romanesque style;
- the Church entitled to St. Anthony (XVII century) with its frescoes of the artist Muttoni;
- the XVII century Parish Church of Sant'Abbondio in Stazzona;
- the "punt de sass", a double-arched bridge attributed by the traditions to Roman times;
- the Church of Our Lady of the Snows (XVIII century);
- the Church of Saints Giacomo and Filippo (XVI century), located on a rocky outcrop overlooking the valley, built on the ruins of the tower of the castle of Capitanei-Bianchi, destroyed in 1492;
- the Natural Reserve of Pian di Gembro.