Town in the lowland of the plain of Brescia, Verolanuova has tied its history and its fortunes to the Gambara, a feudal Family that received imperial proclaims to rule this fief on the borders of the Oglio. For this reason, in fact, the urban structure of the country is very similar to that of a small capital, with interesting and valuable artistic and architectural buildings. All began with the construction of the Castel Merlino, a '300-'400 structure, remodeled in the XVI century, which was first residence of the Gambara, that still preserves the remains of the drawbridge, two fireplaces and the east face of the original structure (with no battlements).
The Gambara Palace (now the city hall) is the result of a series of refurbishments, probably made between the XVI and XVIII centuries.
Among the religious buildings, not to miss: the Roman Basilica Minore of San Lorenzo (XVII century), which contains two valuable paintings by Giambattista Tiepolo depicting the "Fall of Manna" and "The Sacrifice of Melchizedek," commissioned by Gian Francesco Gambara and executed, perhaps, between 1735 and 1740. The Church of the Framework, before the town's parish and chapel of Gambara, inside which is preserved the tomb of Count Nicholas Gambara, a general of the army of Emperor Charles V, and the Maggi Palace in the district of Cardignano, a settlement of residential houses and rustic courtyards.