Town in the province of Brescia, famous for its marble manufacture, stands in the foothills, at short distance East of the main city of the Region, Brescia. The traditions narrate that the name derives from the legendary King Zato, who lived in this area, however, the most plausible hypothesis is that it comes from "Curtis Vetus" or "Regiadum", a stop-over place where the Emperor would restore during his diplomatic travels.
The area was inhabited since prehistoric times, as attested by the finds of skeletons and pottery in some caves, now lost for the exploitation of some nearby caves. In any case, what remains of the relics are now preserved at the Museum of Natural History in Brescia.
The current village was founded in the Middle Ages, when the bishop of Brescia, Landolfo, donated some land to the Benedictine monks of the monastery of St. Euphemia. The village remained under the jurisdiction of the Monastery of St. Euphemia until 1299 when the Bishop Berardo Maggi with a decree declared the birth of the new municipality.
The most representative building of the city, is surely the Sanctuary of Valverde, rebuilt in the XVII century, a Romanesque chapel with an adjoining chapel, which preserves inside frescoes of the XIV and XVI centuries.
Of great impact is the Villa Avogrado-Fenaroli, built in 1500 and restored in the XVIII century by the architect Giovan Battista Marchetti.
Not to miss: the International Evolutionary Art Gallery and the Convent of St. Peter's Hill, with its library with ancient manuscripts.