The town's name derives partially from the word valley and from a second name of uncertain significance: some historians refer it to the German name of person, Gris, whilst for others it refers to the river that runs through the area.
A mountain village located at approx. 1600 meters above sea level, bordering with the region of the Savoy, Valgrisenche is located in a landscape of great effect, precisely in the small valley in the Graie Alps surrounded by peaks and glaciers.
A fully equipped mountain resort with 8 kilometers of ski trails and three ski lifts that reach 2000 meters altitude.
The town is famous for the production of "draps", handmade wool fabrics made on antique textile frames and for the manufacture of Fontina cheese in the farms of the area.
This area is extremely important for its location nearby Val d'Isere, which was inhabited already in medieval times. It became the possession of the Savoy and signed the border of their reign, till 1859, when the Savoy was ceded the area to the French. During the Fascist era the town was named Valgrisenza, until 1976, when it became Valgrisanche. Between 1951 and 1960, to protect the area from floods, the large dam of Beauregard was built, after the sacrifice of the village of Fornet and its chapel.
Not to miss:
The Parish Church of San Grato. The present building dates from around 1871 and replaced a older church. The building features a single nave, in Corinthian style and it contains an altar of white marble from Carrara, present in the church since 1923 and an organ of great historical and artistic value. The bell tower, dating back to 1392, is a stone tower with a square pyramid octagonal belfry, enhanced by the windows and a spire at the top.
The Museum of Sacred Art in the Church of San Grato preserves exhibits between the XIII and XIX centuries, such as a precious wooden statue depicting the Madonna and Child dating from the XIV century and a cross of the XIII century.
The Oratory of San Grateful, located on the edge of the rock with the same name at more than 2400 meters of height.
The Chapel in Usellières, built in 1633.
The Chapel in Fornet, submerged by the waters of the lake with the village of the same name in 1952 after the building of the dam of Beauregard.
The Chapel in Plantè, built in 1681, which is dedicated to St. Bernard and St. Agatha.
The Chapel in Mondange, originally built in 1648 and rebuilt in 1890, it is entitled to San Giuseppe, Sant'Ilario e Santa Barbara.
The Chapel in La Carrà, built in 1669 and restored in 1993, it is located at 2000 meters above sea level and its patron Saints are Our Lady of Grace and San Pantaleone.
The Chapel in Bonne, dedicated to St. Denis, dates back to 1688.
The Chapel in Rocher was consecrated in 1688 and entitled to the Addolorata.
The chapel in Revers, dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary.
The Chapel in Prariond, dating back to 1640, is entitled to San Germano.
The Chapel of Cerè, which dates back to 1642 and is dedicated to St. Barbara and St. Anne