There is not a complete agreement on the origins of the town's name: some historians believe that it derives from the Latin word "intra" because of its geographic position, "between two valleys, for others, it derives from " intra aquas ", namely" between the waters "of the stream Savara and those of Dora Rhêmes.
It is a mountain village in the province of Aosta, situated between Villeneuve, Arvier, Valsavarenche and Rhêmes-Saint-Georges. The village lies just outside the National Park of Gran Paradiso, at 880 meters above sea level and it features a wonderful panorama overlooking the valley of the Dora Baltea and, thanks to its forests, the clearings and the pristine nature, it has been a favourite climatic destination for Pope John Paul II and now Pope Benedict XVI. Here it is possible to enjoy every season: in Summer one can hire a mountain bike or walk up to 1,800 meters to the retreat Arpilles, visit the wildlife park or just enjoy the green meadows; in Winter one can walk the trails at Les Combes with snowshoes or cross country and once left for the valleys above, it is possible to practice all ski sports suitable for that period.
The Val d'Aosta area has been inhabited since ancient times, as witnessed by the prehistoric remains found in several places. The first people who settled in the area joined the Celts, that came from the heart of Europe between the VIII and V centuries B.C., and formed a community known as the people of Salassi. They were skilled hunters and warriors, that were defeated around the I century B.C. by the Romans who had understood the strategic importance of the area, representing one of the easiest route to cross the Alps. In later centuries came the Goths, the Franks (under whose rule the region became part of the Holy Roman Empire of Charlemagne) the Lombards and the dukes of Burgundy, until Umberto Biancamano became, in 1032, Count of Aosta. Followed infighting among the local lords, ended when it became a possession of the Savoy. Introd was dominated by the House of Sarriod, in whose hands had been met as Lord of La Tour During the XVI and the XIX centuries the region suffered epidemics and wars, and it was ceded to the French Republic in 1798 and was part of the French Empire 1804 and 1814. With the restoration of the Savoy, Intra was returned to the Kingdom of Sardinia, which in 1861 became the Kingdom of Italy.
Not to miss:
The Castle of Introd, which is at the top, overlooking the town. The original structure probably dates from the XII century and it presents with square building surrounded by walls. In 1260 Sarriod Pierre d'Introd requested an initial structural change and finally in the XV century, the castle took on the characteristic structure still visible today. Devastated by two fires in the XIX century, it was restored by Cavalier Gonella at the beginning of the XX century. In front of the castle it is possible to admire a XV century barn with two wooden doors that bear locks in contemporary wrought iron.
The Ola farmhouse, adjacent to the castle houses the stables of the old manor.
The Maison Bruil, an example of rural architecture of the Gran Paradiso, seat of a museum on local traditional nutrition and the Atelier du Gout, a showcase for the discovery of local products. The structure, consists of two buildings, that as a result of structural changes over the centuries XVII, XVIII and XIX, has become one and in this way it was able to ensure all spaces needed for the survival of people and animals.
The two bridges link the main centre to villages downstream, though not old, they deserve a visit, because of their grandeur. The Pont Neuf is 80 meters and is the highest bridge in the Val d'Aosta.
Parc d'Introd Animalier where, in 3 hectares of extension, it is possible to admire birds and mammals of the National Park of Gran Paradiso.
The Parish church of St Paul, which retains a Baroque altar.
The Chapel of the Holy Shroud dates back to the V century.
The Museum dedicated to Pope John Paul II.