The town's name, for the first part, could come from the Provençal "rows" (rowing), or from the Piedmontese "Remmar" (beam), the second part honors the patron saint. Small mountain village located at over 1200 meters above sea level, on the edge of the Gran Paradiso National Park, halfway between the valley and peaks, surrounded by forests of pine and larch trees, paths and fields, Rhémes-Saint-Georges offers trekking, horseback or mountain bike possibilities on trails of varying difficulty, excursions with snowshoes, free climbing or piolet-traction. In alternative the area also proposes visits to the hamlets of Vieux and Coveyrand with their characteristic covered streets.
The discovery of some tools, near Cachoz, testifies the human presence in the Valley of Rhémes since the Bronze Age. The area was inhabited by the Celts and Salassi, then conquered by the Romans. During the Middle Ages it was part of the fief of Chatel Argent, subject to the dominion of the lords of Bard, whilst at the end of the XIV to the XVII century the town belonged to the lords Sarriod of Introd. The latter were forced to sell the estate to Pierre Philippe Roncas, Marquis of Caselle. A few years later, in 1682, the Marquis Roncas sold some of its properties, that were later acquired by the lords Brunel. In 1740 Rhémes-Notre-Dame was acquired by the Duke of Savoy and later the Marquis de Chatel Argent, who ceded some rights to the two towns of Rhémes-Saint-Georges and Rhémes-Notre-Dame, such as the freedom from census and tax revenues.
Not to miss:
The Parish Church dedicated to Saint George, patron of the town, which was built in the XIII century and renovated in 1713, during the first half of the XIX century. It has been refurbished and was given a new tabernacle, embellished with statues and precious chandeliers of Bohemian crystal. Traces of the original medieval structure are only in the foundations and at the bottom of the tower. Inside it preserves paintings that date back to 1800 and are the work of the artist Grange, the main altar in carved wood, painted and gilded, similar to the other XVIII century altars, like the one entitled to St. Joseph.
The Chapel of Prieur erected in the XVII century in honor of the Saints Mark, Sebastian and Rocco. In the XVIII century it was completely destroyed by a flood and rebuilt in 1733.
The Chapel of Sarral erected in 1710 in honor of Our Lady of the Snows and St. Defendente.
La Chapel of Voix built in 1781 and dedicated to St. Pantaleone and Firmino, which are represented on the façade on either side of the representation of Saint George defeating the dragon. Inside are preserved frescoes of Grange.
The Chapel of Frassiney, built in the XVI and completely refurbished in the early XVII century.
The Chapel of Proussaz, built in 1718 and dedicated to Saints Bernard and Agatha. It features a baroque altar carved by Bonniset, a sculptor of Sarre.
The Chapel Mèlignon, built in 1679 and dedicated to Saints Margaret and Cassiano