The first part of the town's name refers to the towers of the castle of the Della Scala, the emblem of this centre, while the second part refers to a name which derives from its location near to Lake Garda.
Municipality in the province of Verona, located in the heart of the Riviera of the Olive Trees, on the shores of Lake Garda at the foot of Monte Baldo, Torri del Benaco is a very popular resort for the mild climate and the presence of several attractions, including Grotta La Tanella, which is a cavern, rich of stalactites and stalagmites, from which springs a natural water source.
The traces of settlements in the area date back to 2000 B.C., as evidenced by the remains of dwelling villages. During the period of the Empire, around the I century B.C., the town was colonized by the Romans, attested by several remains. In a later period, after the Fall of the Empire, the territories were easy prey of raids by Goths, Lombards, Franks and Huns. The local populations were obliged to erect high defensive fortified walls to defend themselves from these invaders. In the following years, the domain was granted to the Visconti and the Da Carrara, who contended the government of this side of the lake until 1405, when control passed to the Serenissima Republic of Venice. The town, then, submitted a short period under the domain of Napoleon and shared the same fate and historical events that characterized the entire region, until it was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy in 1866.
- the XVIII century Parish of Saints Peter and Paul, which features a façade divided into two architectonic styles, the lower layer smaller than the higher one and separated by a broad ledge. Both floors are divided by columns and niches which host statues, the whole surmounted by a large tympanum. The building is flanked at the rear, by a Bell Tower and is topped by an onion-shaped spire;
- the XV century Church of the Holy Trinity;
- the XII century Church of St. Gregory;
- the XVIII century Church of San Martino;
- the XVIII century Church of San Marco;
- the Church of San Faustino and Giovita;
- the Church of San Giovanni;
- the Church of St. Anthony;
- the Church of San Siro;
- the XIV century Clock Tower, restored for the first time in 1532, a second intervention occurred about 20 years later, while, in 1585, it was destroyed by fire. Completely rebuilt, it has been restored several times over the centuries. The sound of its bells was used to draw the attention of citizens on the occasion of the "Divine Charms";
- the XIV century Castle, which houses the Ethnographic Museum, entitled to the Scala Family;
- the Cavern La Tanella.