Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Veneto Garda's Lake Lazise

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Lazise

Description

The town's name derives from the Latin word "lacus" (lake).
Municipality in the province of Verona, located at the southern bank of the Riviera of the Olive Trees, on the eastern shore of Lake Garda, Lazise still preserves intact its medieval urban core, surrounded by fortified walls, and is rich in history and art. It is a popular tourist destination all year round.
The first evidence of a settlement date back to the Prehistoric Ages, a time when, in the territory of Lazise arose the first dwelling villages. Colonized by the Romans the area submitted a period of wealth and development, also thanks to the proximity to the lake and the possibility to transport merchandise between Veneto and Germany. After the Fall of the Empire, the region was invaded and looted by the Barbarians and Lasize submitted the same fate of other localities in the same area and was dominated by Heruli, Ostrogoths and Lombards. The Emperor Otto II granted to the town a certain autonomy and several regulations. The town was subjected to the Della Scala, the Visconti and to the Carraresi. In 1405 the territories became part of the Serenissima Republic of Venice and, except for a brief period of decline, the town experienced a long period of peace and prosperity. In 1710 it was subjected to the Gonzaga.

Attractions:
- the Church of St. Nicholas, probably built in the XII century, although the first historical document dates back only to the first half of the XIV century. In Romanesque style with a porch, over the centuries it has submitted several renovations, such as the rebuilding of the apse in the late XVI century. The Bell Tower was demolished and rebuilt in the XVIII century;
- the Church of Saints Zeno and Martino, originally built in 1295 as attested by a document, demolished, it was entirely rebuilt in the XVIII century;
- the early XVIII century Church of San Gaetano from Thiene, which houses a masterpiece of the artist Perini;
- the Church of Saints Faustino and Giovita, built in the XII century, it was restored at a later date;
- the XII century Church of Saints Fermo and Rustico in Romanesque style;
- the XVIII century Church of Saint John the Baptist;
- the Scaliger Castle and the Old Town centre;
- the XVI century Palace of the Customs;
- the Old Port;
- Villa Pergolana;
- Villa dei Cedri;
- Villa Bernini;
- Villa Bottona;
- Villa Bazzoli.

Map

This town web page has been visited 22,508 times.

Choose language

italiano

english