Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Veneto Garda's Lake Peschiera del Garda

Most viewed in Peschiera del Garda

  • Zenato Wines Veneto

    The Azienda Zenato has always forged strong links with local history and culture, both that of centuries past and that still forming today, and links just as deep with the land that gives us the wines we produce. Equally important to us is a passionate...

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Peschiera del Garda

Description

The town's name probably derived from the Latin word "piscaria" (fish farm - hatchery).
Municipality in the province of Verona, located on the Southern edge of the Riviera of the Olive Trees, in a point where the Mincio is detached from Lake Garda, Peschiera del Garda preserves intact part of the XVI century defensive walls that surround the Old Town centre. It is a touristic and industrial centre between the most famous localities of Lake Garda, great starting point for visits to all the other neighboring towns.
Originally inhabited since the Prehistoric Ages, the first settlements date back to the Bronze Age, a time when several dwelling villages arose in this area. It was colonized by the Romans, who built in this area an important center, known, at the time, with the name Arilica, later changed into Peschiera in the VIII century. After a period of Roman rule, the territories were invaded by Barbarians and Huns. Granted to the Ezzelini, in the Middle Ages, the town's fate was tied to Verona. In the XV century it became part of the territory of the Serenissima Republic of Venice, while during the period of the "Risorgimento" the town was a protagonist of its time, with Verona, Mantua and Legnago, thanks to its active participation on all fronts (military - economy - development).

Attractions:
- the Shrine of Our Lady of Ash, built on the site, where in 1510, took place a miraculous event. The construction work began in 1511. The church houses two famous paintings by the artist Farinati, twelve of the Bertanza, four of the Muttone il Giovane and one of Zeno of Verona. The frescoes inside the chapel are attributed to Farinati, inside the church it is possible to admire the frescoes of the Muttone il Giovane and a XVII century walnut choir;
- the Parish Church of San Martino, whose first records date back to year 1000. The present building, renovated in the XIX century, preserves frescoes of the artist Saoncella;
- the Church of San Benedetto;
- the XVI century fortified walls, which are interrupted at the corners by four buttresses and surrounded by a moat;
- the Presidium, which houses relics of the Risorgimento and the First World War;
- the Roman excavations.

Map

This town web page has been visited 27,564 times.

Choose language

italiano

english