The town's name derives from the Lombard "warda" (guard). Municipality in the province of Verona, located in the homonymous gulf, at the foot of Monte Baldo on the shore of Lake Garda, is a picturesque tourist town that attracts visitors all year round, thanks to the mild climate, the presence of several antique villas, the possibility of excursions in contact with the surrounding environment and the old centre that still preserves its medieval features. Of particular interest is Punta San Vigilio, with the Bay of the Sirens, a small privately owned peninsula that houses a church, a villa, a port and an inn.
The first inhabitants of the area were the Veneti, while later it was colonized by the Romans, who insisted in the development of the center, taking advantage of its particular location. The Fall of the Empire created conditions of chaos and extreme fragility for these areas, which became easy prey of the Barbarian attacks. Subject to the Lombard domain, the village submitted a new period of economic development. In the VIII century, Charlemagne established the boundaries to the entire area and proclaimed it County, and then, after various vicissitudes, at the end of the XII century, Garda was granted to the Scala Family. Later submitted to the Serenissima Republic of Venice, the town shared the same historical events with the other localities of the entire province.
- the Parish Church, entitled to Santa Maria Assunta, probably built in the X century, was rebuilt after the earthquake of 1117 and remodeled in the first half of the XIX century. The Bell tower was added later and built in 1571. The church still retains traces of the pre-existing building and features a medieval cloister. Inside it preserves several valuable artworks, including a painting of San Biagio, a XVI century wooden crucifix and a XV century fresco;
- the XVII century Church of Santo Stefano, which has been restored in the second half of the XIX century;
- the XV century Hermitage of the Camaldolesi;
- the XVI century Villa Albertini, which is the emblem of the city. In 1848 Carlo Alberto signed here, the edit of the annexation of Lombardy. Located on the lake, it features four small turrets;
- the numerous trails around Lake Garda;
- the XIV century Palace of the Captains;
- the XVIII century Villa Canossa.