Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.




  • Terre Stregate Winery

    Terre Stregate Winery

    Wine Farm, quality wines, sannio doc, falanghina, greco di Tufo, aglianico, sparkling wines, fiano igt, Extravirgin oil mill,...

  • Pineta 1903

    Pineta 1903

    Restaurant Lounge Bar Wine Bar Lemon Garden Beer Pub Brasserie Maiori Amalfi Coast Salerno Campania Italy

  • Antica Porta Apartments Ravello

    Antica Porta Apartments Ravello

    Apartments Accommodation Ravello Amalficoast Neapolitan Riviera Salerno Campania Italy

  • Amalfi Coast Exclusive Car Service

    Amalfi Coast Exclusive Car Service

    Taxi chauffeur Transfer Tour guide Train station Amalfi taxi Limousine Florence Positano Amalfi Ravello Sorrento Pompeii Amalficoast...

  • Villa Ferida Amalfi Coast

    Villa Ferida Amalfi Coast

    Charming Luxury Accommodation Exclusive Villa in Praiano Positano Amalficoast Salerno Campania Italy

you are here: Home Campania Benevento Surroundings Torrecuso


Most viewed in Torrecuso

  • Cantine Iannella Campania Wines

    The Iannella Cellar, was founded in 1920 by the head of the family Giovanni Iannella, it has initially had a production limited to only 50 ql of wine. Wines produced were Aglianico (which has made famous this small village Samnite, after the DOC recognition)...

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail




The town's name probably derives from the Latin "toriculus", short for "torus" (height), in reference to the particular location of the village. Municipality in the province of Benevento, perched on a hill at the foot of Mount Pentime (which is territory of Torecuso on one side and of Vitulano on the other side), the town dominates its surrounding fertile lands, cultivated with wheat, olives and vines. The entire district stretches along the left bank of the River Calore.
The foundation date is uncertain, for some historians it goes back to 216 B.C., while others anticipate it to year 316 and attach it to the settling in the area of Etruscans. The presence of a Roman bridge evidence a period of Roman colonization. The village is mentioned for the first time in an XI century text, which attests its medieval origins. The foundation of the first main centre was probably completed in order to defend the nearby town of Benevento, which during the Lombard domain, was the capital. Throughout its history the town submitted the rule of several noble families: in fact proclaimed fief, it was granted to the Barons Fenocchio, the Della Leonessa, the Caracciolo and the Cito. The entire area experienced a period of particular prosperity between the XVII and XVIII centuries.

- the XIV century Church of the Santissima Annunziata, which features a façade embellished by large columns, niches and rose windows. Its entrance is very special, because it opens up in a semicircle, as if to welcome the visitor in an embrace. At the top there is a small tympanum and, incorporated into the structure, a tall Bell Tower with a square base surmounted by a spire top. Inside are preserved valuable paintings of the XVIII and XIX centuries, a very interesting altarpiece, embellished with a golden frame, depicting the Virgin and the Angel Gabriel, a Pieta of 1790, painted by Musco of Benevento, eight medallions of the same author, an artwork of the Castellano and the remains of Saint Vincent of Saragozza;
- the Parish Church of St. Erasmus, of which the year of construction is uncertain, features a Classical façade delineated by columns and frames. It is a small building with one major nave and two aisles and topped with a small elegant pediment, supported by a base which in harmony connects with the remaining part of the building. Inside is preserved a remarkable painting, depicting San Filippo Neri;
- the Church of San Liberatore, preceded by a beautiful square, is built entirely of stone. The simplicity of the façade is broken only by a rose window and a decorative frame that surrounds the entrance.
- the bridge Foenicolum, which dates back to Roman times and connects the two banks of the river Calore;
- Palazzo Cito, today seat of the Town Hall.


This town web page has been visited 46,234 times.

Choose language