Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.




you are here: Home Campania Benevento Surroundings Amorosi


Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail




The town's name is uncertain: one of the most credible theories attests that it derives from the name of a noble Lombard Family "Amoroso", owner of these lands in the Middle Ages, while another one affirms that it derives from Latin and means "eroded by the rivers", probably due to the presence of two rivers in the area. Municipality in the province of Benevento, the main centre was built on a hill near to where the rivers Volturno and Calore intersect.
The town's foundation is dated back to the late IX century and Amorosi is mentioned for the first time in a text of 1100. Its history is tied to the proximity to the nearby ancient city of Telese, of which it shared the same fate. It was a Roman colony, later a Longobard Gastaldato. In the XV century the town was fortified by the construction of a castle , "castrum Amorusii", which belonged to Giovanni Battista Gaetani. Over the centuries it was assigned in fief to various noble families of Southern Italy. It was ceded to Donna Francesca Siscar, who granted the town as a dowry to her daughter after her marriage with a Caracciolo. The town remembers a famous visit in 1724, of Carlo di Borbone, the future King Carlo III of Naples.

- the XVIII century Church of San Michele Arcangelo, which features an extremely rich façade, divided into two levels and surrounded by decorations, columns and frames. It is surmounted by a pediment and flanked by a tall Bell Tower with a square base, which is divided into quadrants by three horizontal frames that run along the four sides and is surmounted by a tiled dome. Inside are preserved an old wooden pulpit, several statues and paintings of great value;
- the Chapel of San Giuseppe;
- Palazzo Piscitelli;
- Palazzo Maturi with the adjoining chapel of St. Joseph;
- Palazzo Salvione-Parente;
- Palazzo Giaquinto.


This town web page has been visited 46,095 times.

Choose language