Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.




  • Amalfi Transfer Tour

    Amalfi Transfer Tour

    Amalfi Coast Transfers and Excursions, Lemon Tour, Exclusive Tour and transfer to Train Station and Naples and Rome Airport, Amalficoast...

  • Il Borgo Restaurant Sorrento

    Il Borgo Restaurant Sorrento

    Mediterranean Gastronomy, seafood specialties, Panoramic Terrace, Sorrento Coast Sorrentine Peninsula Naples Campania Italy

  • Hotel Morfeo Milan

    Hotel Morfeo Milan

    Hotel, Quality Accommodation, Gym, Milan

  • Hotel Terme Capasso Contursi Terme

    Hotel Terme Capasso Contursi Terme

    Quality 4 Stars Hotel Wellness Accommodation Beauty Center Thermal Swimming Pool SPA Contursi Terme Salerno Campania Italy

  • Palazzo Manfredi Rome

    Palazzo Manfredi Rome

    Charming Luxury 5 Stars Hotel Accommodation Restaurant Colosseum view Rome Latium Italy

you are here: Home Umbria Surroundings of Terni Stroncone


Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

More About

Here you can find info and tips about the area you are visiting.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail




The name has uncertain origins, and probably derives from Ugone, one of the Lombard dukes of Spoleto. Municipality in the province of Terni, located on a hill completely surrounded by a green environment on the border of the territory of the provincial capital and the region of Lazio, the village of Stroncone is characterized by the presence of winding staircases covered with pebbles, arches, doorways and tall fortified boundary walls, in which open ancient gateways.
The first document, that reports the presence of the center, dates back to 1012, when it was founded by populations that previously settled in the valley, on the top of a hill which, at the time, seemed to a safer place to live in. The special position occupied between the territories of the Byzantine Empire and the Duchy of Spoleto, made it a center of strategic importance. In the XI century, the village was submitted to the monastery of Farfa, while in the early XIII century, it suffered serious damage by colliding with the troops that supported the municipality of Narni. Promptly rebuilt thanks to the intervention of Pope Innocent III, in clashes between the Guelphs and Ghibellines, it sided with the former.
At the end of the XIV century, Stroncone was conquered by Pandolfo Malatesta and a few years later, it was prey of the Tomacelli. At the end of the XVI century the village submitted the direct control of the Camera Apostolica. Conquered by Napoleon's troops, it was raided and sacked. Annexed to the Kingdom of Italy in 1929, Stroncone became a district of Terni, until in 1947 it regained its lost autonomy and was proclaimed municipality.

- the Oratory of St. John the Beheaded, which preserves within frescoes of the first half of the XV century, depicting the Saint, artwork of the artist Bastiani, and an altarpiece by the same author. The vault is richly decorated with stucco decorations;
- the Church of San Michele Arcangelo, built around year 1000, it contains a fine wooden choir and a XIV century wooden Cross;
- the Convent of San Francesco. In a chapel of the church there is a XVI century tempera painting of a pupil of the Pinturicchio;
- the Church of St. Nicholas with its beautiful decorated gate, built in 1171, preserves inside a XVI century altarpiece attributed to Rinaldo Calvi;
- the mid XII century Church of Our Lady of the Snows;
- the Church of San Filippo built in the XVII century;
- the Church of the Virgin of the Banner;
- the XIV century Palace of Vici;
- the XV century Palazzo dei Priori;
- the Fountain of 1559


This town web page has been visited 21,611 times.

Choose language