Municipality in the province of Terni, located on a spur cliff of tuff stone that overlooks the valleys of Paglia and Chiana, the town has retained its original medieval urban structure, inside which are preserved with great consistency, elegant buildings and decorative elements of the Renaissance period. Of the ancient city walls, which were built for defensive purposes, remain only few traces, but well preserved are the ancient three main gate entrances. The entire area is dominated by the imposing bulk of the Cathedral, which is a real architectural gem.
The area was probably inhabited since ancient times, perhaps from the Iron Age, while finds attest the presence of the Etruscans, who founded the first settlement, known as Volsinii. Intense and flourishing for the development of the center was the period between the V and VI centuries B.C. After the conquest by the Romans, the town submitted a period of decline, that ended in the Middle Ages, thanks to its proximity to the Via Francigena. Around 1100, a larger center was built and proclaimed Municipality, Orvieto found itself directly involved in the historic rivalry of conquest between the two noble families Filippeschi and Monaldeschi, up until in mid XIV century, it was submitted to the Papal States, under the direct influence of the Pope. In 1860, Orvieto and its territory became part of the Kingdom of Italy, annexed to the province of Perugia, while in 1927 it became part of the province of Terni.
- the Cathedral, built between the late XIII and the first half of the XIV centuries, in Gothic style, features a spectacular façade, designed by the architect Maitani, enriched with mosaics, sculptures, pinnacles and a XIV century rose window of the artist Orcagna. The three naves, the apse and its five chapels are all covered, inside and outside, with two-tone marble stone slabs. The building preserves inside several important artworks, precious altars, a XIV century choir and a reliquary of the artist Corporali, completed in 1338;
- the Church of Sant'Andrea, which was built between the XI and XII centuries, on the ruins of a pre-existing early Christian building. It is embellished with a portico with columns and is flanked by a dodecagonal shaped Bell Tower with mullioned windows and battlement embellishments. The inside features three naves with columns of granite;
- the XIII century Church of San Lorenzo de Arari, embellished with a XV century Bell Tower and portal, features a three-nave plan decorated with frescoes of the XIV century;
- the Church of San Domenico, which houses a masterpiece of Arnolfo di Cambio;
- the Church of St Juvenal in Romanesque style;
- the XIII century Church of San Francesco;
- the XIII century Palazzo Soliano, which houses the Museum of the Opera del Duomo, which contains several artworks, including a personal portrait of the artist Signorelli, a Madonna and Child with Saints by Simone Martini and two statues of Andrea Pisano. The archaeological section displays artifacts from Etruscan tombs;
- the famous Well of St. Patrick, built and designed by Antonio the Younger da San Gallo. 62m deep in which open 72 windows, surrounded by two spiral staircases;
- Palazzo del Popolo, built between the XII and XIII centuries in Romanesque-Gothic style;
- Palazzo Faina, seat of the Civic Museum, displays exhibits of the Etruscan and the Greek Ages;
- the Etruscan Necropolis of Crocifisso del Tufo and the Necropolis of Cannicella;
- the XII century Papal Palace, today seat of the National Archaeological Museum;
- the Etruscan Temple of the Belvedere;
- the XVI century Palazzo Gualterio;
- La Rocca, the fortress built in 1364;
- the Moorish Watchtower (la Torre del Moro).