San Martino in Badia (Sankt Martin in Thurn in German, San Martin de Tor in Ladino), together with its districts: Antermoia (Antermëia in German, Untermoi in Ladino) and Longiarù (Lungiarü in German, Campill in Ladino) is a town in the province Bolzano, in Val Badia, surrounded by the beautiful landscape of the Dolomites. It features green valleys, snowy peaks, dense forests and pristine nature, which create the perfect setting for a relaxing holiday in a magical atmosphere.
The town's name was documented for the first time in 1260.
In 1803, with the fall of the temporal power exercised by the Bishop of Brixen, the administration of justice and public life was assigned to the Austro-Hungarian monarchy and the towns, which until then were included in the Giudizio of Tor (San Martin com Picolin, Lungiarü, Antermëia and Rina) were all incorporated into a single municipality. In 1854, Lungiarü and Rina were separated from San Martino and formed two new municipalities. After the First World War the two towns of San Martino and Lungiarü was included, along with other towns of the territory, into the Kingdom of Italy. In 1930 Lungiarü was incorporated with La Valle of San Martino in Badia, and the village of Rina of Marebbe, into one single municipality. While La Valle was proclaimed municipality in 1965, Lungiarü continued to be a district of San Martino in Badia.
Sites of Interest:
- the Castle of San Martino in Turn, mentioned for the first time in 1260, an important part of the defensive system of the Principality of Bressanone until 1803; in 1808 it was ceded to two local noble families, who in 1998, ceded the building to the Province of Bolzano and is, at present, seat of the Ladino Ethnographic Museum;
- the Valley of the Mills of Longiarù, with about 30 water mills, some of which are still fully functional;
- the rustic baths of Valdander, in the district of Antermoia;
- the Nature Park of Puez / Odle.