The town's name is of uncertain origins and between the various schools of thought, that have been developed over time, there is one for which it derives from the paleoveneto dialect "roa" or from the Latin "rubus", both with the meaning "rovo" (thorn). Town in the province of Vicenza, located on the Pre-alps, Roano is a town which spreads over a large area and in which still survives the Cimbrian culture. The vast area includes forests and pastures. A small lake of Lonaba and the nearby forest attract tourists and visitors in every season; for those that practice Winter sports, one can choose between the fully equipped areas of Mount Verena, Mount Zovetto and others in the neighborhood.
The discovery of graffiti dating from the Iron Age reveals that the area was inhabited since ancient times. The village is mentioned for the first time in historical documents which date back to 983. Chosen by people of Germanic origins, as an area to colonize, later, in the XIV century it became part of the Regency of the Seven Towns, acquiring an autonomy and self-government. The Regency preserved its autonomy and identity throughout the following ages, until the XIX century. Roano experienced periods of great difficulty due to the passage of the mercenary troops of Landsknecht, the disastrous plague epidemic that decimated the population in the XVII century and also later when, during the First World War, the population was forced to leave their homes and seek refuge elsewhere .
- the Parish Church of Santa Giustina, which features a classical façade, punctuated by columns, topped by a pediment and flanked by a tall Bell Tower with a square base on a truncated pyramid shaped foundation. The belfry, marked by a clear rim, is characterized by the presence of large openings. It is complemented by a small temple topped by a spire. The church contains within, several valuable statues dating from the XVIII century;
- the Church of San Marco Evangelista in Canove, which preserves within a collection of paintings dating from XVI - XVIII centuries and a XVII century altarpiece attributed to the artist Scaiaro;
- the Church of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Mezzaselva;
- the Parish Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary Immaculate;
- the Fortress of Verena is what remains of an Italian fortification, located on the mountain with the same name;
- the small Lake of Lonaba with its swimming facilities;
- the Historical Museum of the First World War (1915-1918);
- the Museum of the Cuchi in Treschè Cesuna;
- the graffiti in the Val d'Assa;
- the Fortress of Corbin.