Ponte di Legno is an important tourist resort in Lombard Region, in the province of Brescia and its name derives from the bridge Dalegno. The districts of Ponte di Legno and Temù form the old town centre. Located on the Eastern side of its valley, the town rises between 1,100 and 3,500 meters above sea level. The major concentration of buildings has been built in this broad valley, that serves as the border through the Passo del Tonale between Lombardia and Trentino Alto Adige.
The first written records date back to a diploma of Charlemagne in 774, in which these lands were offered to the monks of Tours.
In addition to the beautiful scenery and the natural wonders, it is possible to admire the Castle of Castelpoggio in town Poia. The earliest traces of this castle date from the Lombard domination, demolished in 1455, rubble traces were still visible until 1853. During the First World War trenches were built for military use and the last ruins were destroyed during the bombing. Later, in 1922, Count Joseph de Zan rebuilt the present castle.
Not to miss: the Parish of the Holy Trinity, built in Baroque style in 1685, that features wooden doors is 1929. Flanked by a XIV century bell tower, inside the church preserves valuable works, such as an altar, masterpiece of the Ramus brothers and a frontal altar attributed to the artist G.B. Zotti.
The countryside is one of the most important tourist resorts of the Lombard Region, provided with hundreds of kilometers of ski slopes equipped with artificial snowmaking machines and new ski-lifts.