Located in the homonymous valley, in a corner of the Val di Sole, Pejo (or Peio) is a town in the province of Trento, in the unspoiled nature of the Stelvio National Park, on the slopes of Mount Viòz. The environment is particularly impressive, is characterized by glaciers, dense forests and natural vegetation, natural lakes and two reservoirs for hydroelectric energy production (Lake Careser and Pian Palu).
It is a famous tourist destination, popular all year round, thanks to a wide and varied range of tourist offers: in Summer, in fact, it is possible to trek along the mountain paths, excursions to the highest peaks and enjoy the tasty biological cheese specialties, while in Winter, sports lovers can practice snowboarding, downhill skiing, cross-country skiing and ice skating, taking advantage of modern equipment and the ski lifts of the latest generation.
In the nearby wellness area of Peio Fonti, thanks to the presence of hot springs, known for their therapeutic properties since 1600, those who are looking for a relaxing and healthy holiday, regain here their mental and physical balance, strained from daily stress. The area of Pejo Valley was inhabited by the Gallo-Rhaetian some years before Christ, as revealed by the findings unearthed near the hill of San Rocco. The area was also subject to intense mining activity since 1360 , an activity that went forward only for a few decades. The history of the Valley Pejo has always been tied to the history of the nearby Val di Sole and the Principality-Bishop County of Trento. The oldest community dates back to 1456, documented by the "Charter of Rule Celentino and Strombiano" and in 1522 in the "Regulations of Peio", a series of statutes that focus on the farmland use and consequent self government.
The town's name origins, adopted in 1928 to denote the set of all the villages in the valley, is attested since 1200 and, according to some historians, derives from ethnic-Celtic word "pellus."
Sites of Interest:
- the Church of San Giorgio, in the district of Peio, whose structure dates back to the XV century and was subject to an expansion in the first half of the XVII century. The interior features two naves Noteworthy is the adjacent bell tower, built between 1480 and 1483, which features the huge figure fresco of St. Christopher, artwork of the brothers Giovanni and Battista Baschenis;
- the Church of San Rocco, nestled among tall larch trees and located in the hill with the same name;
- the Church of Saints Philip and James in Cogolo, built in 1332 and enlarged in the following centuries, with exterior walls painted (XVII century) and, inside, a cycle depicting scenes from the life of St. Catherine, artwork of the Baschenis brothers;
- the Church of San Bartolomeo, in Pegaia, with interior and exterior frescoes dating back to the XVI century;
- the Church of Saints Fabian and Sebastian, with frescoes in the chapel by the Baschenis brothers;
- the XV century Church of St. Matthew in Comesine, with fine wooden altars from the Church of Saint Lucia;
- the Church of St Augustine, Celentino, attested since 1300, although its current form dates back to the last century, it is in neoclassical style and flanked by a bell tower with an onion shaped dome;
- the Church of San Camillo, in Pejo Fonti, from the mid XX century, when the local inhabitants decided to enlarge a simple shrine of the XVIII century into a larger place of worship;
- the Chapel of the Black Madonna;
- the XVIII century Chapel of St. Anthony of Padua, in Strombiano;
- the tower of Strombiano, probably of medieval origin;
- the spa complex in Pejo Fonti;
- the palace of Migazzi, which today houses the Municipal Library;
- the Museum of the Great War;
- the remains of the Austrian fortress of Barbadifiore;
- the Sawmill Museum in Celentino.