Vermiglio is a typical mountain town, situated at the western edge of the Val di Sole, on the slopes of Monte Boai, with a splendid view of the peaks of the Adamello-Presanella. It is a climatic resort visited all year round: in Summer, in fact, it is possible to hike to the peaks of the Presanella, practice mountain biking or spend pleasant moments along the banks of the picturesque lakes near the stream Vermigliana. In Winter, its proximity to the Passo Tonale, snow lovers practice alpine skiing, while those who love peace and quiet prefer cross-country skiing in Val di Sole.
Its geographical position has, in a sense, marked the town's history: a custom zone on the border of its region for all the people, goods and armies, that moved over the centuries along the road of the Tonale and scenario of several battles. During the First World War, the population was transferred to Austria, to the refugee camp of Mittendorf. In 1918 the main centre was rebuilt, according to the ancient urban plan and after World War II its economy submitted a gradual change, moving from agriculture and farming to tourism.
Sites of Interest:
- the Church of St. Stephen, mentioned in 1215, features a neoclassical façade, a single nave plan with two side chapels and five altars. Worthy of note is the XVII century altarpiece of carved and gilded wood, artwork of the artist Ramus;
- the Church of San Pietro in Cortina, with frescoes of the Baschenis brothers;
- the Church of Pizzano, which features a painting of the deportation and return of the population from the refugee camp of Mittendorf;
- the Church of St. Catherine, built in a typical alpine style, embellished with frescoes;
- the Stronghold of Zaccarana, built between 1908 and 1912;
- the Stronghold of Mero, built between 1911 and 1913;
- the Stronghold of Pozzi Alti, built by the Austrian army between 1908 and 1912 in order to block access to the Val di Sole;
- Fortress of Strino, built by the Empire Austro-Hungarian Empire in the aftermath of the Wars of Independence, while acting as a front line during the First World War. Today it houses the Historical Museum of the White War.