In the province of Viterbo, Nepi is situated on a rocky bedrock, surrounded by two gorges crossed by streams Puzzolo and Falisco. According to the traditions, the settlement was founded over 548 years before the birth of Rome by the hero Thermo Laertes. Some archaeological finds, evidence that the area was already inhabited since prehistoric times. It became an Etruscan stronghold and was soon conquered by the Romans. Being part of the Empire, the town followed the fortunes of Rome. The name derives from the Etruscan word "Nepa" (water) and is also remembered for being the city of the thermal baths of the Gracchi.
In the IV century it was scenario of clashes between Goths and Byzantines and in 569 it was destroyed by the Lombards and rebuilt only in the XI century. In 1131 it was proclaimed Municipality, but was always at the center of the contention between several aristocratic families: the Prefects of Vico, the Anguillara, the Orsini, the Colonna, the Farnese and the Borgia. It passed, then under the dominion of the Papal States until 1870.
Sites of Interest:
- the remains of Etruscan and Roman walls;
- La Rocca of the Borgias, rebuilt by the Borgia in the XV century and designed by Antonio da Sangallo the Elder, at a conjunction with the Via Amerina. It is surrounded by fortified walls and features four corner towers and two watchtowers;
- the Town Hall, a splendid example of Renaissance architecture, commissioned by Pier Luigi Farnese and built by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger. It was started in 1542 and was completed only in 1700.
- the Catacombs of St. Savinilla (IV-V century), located near to the city cemetery and consists of three main galleries and several branches;
- the Necropolis of tre Ponti;
- the early medieval centre of Ponte Nepesino;
- the Aqueduct, realized by several architects, including the Vignola;
- the Cathedral of the Assumption, built in the XII century on the ruins of an ancient pagan temple. It was remodeled several times over the centuries, particularly after the fire started by French troops in 1798;
- the X century Church of San Biagio, which was part of a monastic complex which depended from the Monastery of San Ciriaco;
- the XV century Church of San Pietro, with a barrel-vaulted interior and fine stucco;
- the little Church of San Vito, cited for the first time in a document dated 1400 but probably built in a previous age, due to the presence of frescoes dating back to the previous centuries;
- the Church of San Rocco (XV century);
- Porta Romana, Porta Nica and Porta Porciani.