It is a town in the province of Rieti, near the border with Abruzzo, located in a green valley, along a plain, with several small hills between 900 and 1000 meters above sea level and an artificial reservoir, known as Lake Scandarello and surrounded by the peaks of the Laga Mounts. Included in the Parco Nazionale del Gran Sasso, Amatrice is a town rich in history, art and culture.
The earliest human settlements in the area date back to prehistoric times, a hypothesis confirmed by the discovery of several artifacts from that period. Of the Roman domain remain ruins of some buildings and tombs. After the fall of the Roman Empire, even Amatrice experienced the Barbarian invasions and their destructive fury, while with the Lombards it was incorporated into the County of Ascoli. In 1265 the town became part of the Kingdom of Naples and between 1582 and 1692, even though still part of same Kingdom, it passed under the dominion of the Orsini and later, to the Medici of Florence.
The present urban aspect of the city, a regular plan is officially attributed to Nicola Filotesio, also known as "Cola dell'Amatrice" (glue), after the destruction of the center, incurred in 1529.
Sites of Interest:
- the XV century Church of St. Augustine, with a fine late-Gothic portal and frescoes preserved within;
- the XV century Church of St. Emidio, today seat of the Civic Museum;
- the XIV century Church of San Francesco, which features valuable frescoes in the apse;
- the Church of Santa Maria di Porto Ferro (XVI century);
- the Church of San Martino, located in the district with the same name, in Gothic style with a representation of the Via Crucis of the French artist Dubercelle;
- the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, with frescoes of the XV century and the early years of the XVI century;
- the Shrine of Our Lady of Threads;
- the Civic Tower (XIII century);
- the medieval gate accesses: Porta San Francesco and Porta Castello (XIII century).