Town in the province of Potenza, perched along the sides of a hill. A group of stone houses in a beautiful setting, dominated by the imposing presence of a castle, Muro Lucano is located in an area inhabited since ancient times, evidenced by the unearthed remains of megalithic walls and traces of the Roman Ages. Some historians argue on its origins and attest that the village was founded by exiles of the ancient Roman municipium "Numistro" or "Numistrone" (place where, according to legend, took place the battle between Hannibal and Marcellus in 210 B.C. ), that later to escape the continuous raids of the Saracens, decided to find refuge in the most inaccessible rural areas, building a new village, fortifying it with a wall (Muro = wall or hence).
Here was born St. Gerardo Majella, today patron saint of the entire region of Basilicata. Here, In the castle met death the Queen Giovanna I of Naples by order of Charles of Durazzo.
Sites of Interest:
- the castle, built between the IX and X centuries, heavily damaged by frequent earthquakes, that have shaken the area over the centuries. Of the original structure remain only the tower and a section of the fortified wall;
- the Cathedral of St. Nicholas Camera, adjoining to the castle and subsequently damaged by earthquakes over the centuries. Inside are preserved important XVIII century paintings and fine frescoes by the artist Giuseppe Avallone of Salerno;
- the Church of St. Andrew, incorporated in the Convent of St. Anthony, dating back to 1420. It presents a single nave plan with a splendid coffered ceiling. Inside it is possible to admire a precious wooden crucifix, a bishopric, an important XVIII century Neapolitan nativity scene and a beautiful main altar in marble;
- the Sanctuary of Santa Maria delle Grazie, built between the XII and XIII centuries. During the recent renovations, the remains of a Roman kiln have been unearthed. Interesting are the two stone lions at the entrance and round are, of probable Roman origins;
- the Church of San Marco Evangelista (1578);
- the Church of Our Lady del Carmine (1606), where St. Gerardo was confirmed;
- the Holy Trinity Church, where St. Gerardo was baptized;
- the Church and the Convent of the Capuchin monks (XVI century).