Town in the province of Potenza, situated in the hills southeast of the Vulture, not far from the borders with Campania and Puglia, Rionero in Vulture is known in Italy for the healthy properties of its mineral waters and for the production of excellent wines (Aglianico del Vulture and Moscato bianco) and DOP olive oil from the Vulture . The name probably derives from "Rivo nigra (black creek), due to the source of the spring between rocks of volcanic tuff. Archaeological excavations have unearthed a necropolis of the IV century B.C., a Roman aqueduct and a thermal spa-farming settlement of a few centuries before Christ. The feud is first mentioned in a document of 1152 and then in another of 1277. In the early XIV century, due to the exorbitant taxes on pasture, the town was abandoned by its inhabitants, that moved into the fief of Atella. The town was repopulated by Albanian farmers in 1533. Severly damaged by the earthquake of 1694, it was rebuilt by the Princes of Caracciolo.
Sites of Interest:
- the Mother Church of St. Mark the Evangelist, built in 1695 and expanded in subsequent years, features an impressive Baroque facade. The central nave is covered by a coffered plaster ceiling, while the lateral aisles feature vaulted arches. It is flanked by a fine square Bell tower with an octagonal pyramid shaped spire;
- the Church of SS. Sacramento, located where once stood the ancient church of Santa Maria di Rivonigro. In the vestry is preserved a XVI century painting by Luca Giordano;
- the ancient Church of Sant'Antonio Abate, with its original Gothic structure, probably dating from the XII or XIII century;
- the XVIII century Church of St. Nicholas;
- the Church of the Annunciation, probably dating to 1700, which features a single nave plan;
- the noble residences and palaces (Palazzo Fortunato, Palazzo Catena, Palazzo Giannattasio, Palazzo Ciasca, Palazzo Rotondo);
- The Clock of the Costa, in the district with the same name.