Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

  • Restaurant Paisà Maiori

    Restaurant Paisà Maiori

    Mediterranean Gastronomy and Special Seafood Finger Food Maiori Amalfi Coast Neapolitan Riviera Salerno Campania Italy

  • Eremo di San Francesco Amalfi Coast

    Eremo di San Francesco Amalfi Coast

    Luxury Charming Accommodation Exclusive Villa Amalficoast Villas with swimming pool Neapolitan Riviera Amalfi Salerno Campania...

  • Hotel Bellevue Suite Amalfi Coast

    Hotel Bellevue Suite Amalfi Coast

    Quality 4 Stars Hotel Bed and Breakfast Accommodation Suites Rooms Amalfi Neapolitan Riviera Amalficoast Salerno Campania Italy

  • Hotel Villa Romana Minori

    Hotel Villa Romana Minori

    Quality Hotel Accommodation Restaurant Minori Cooking Lesson Neapolitan Riviera Amalfi Coast Salerno Campania Italy

  • Rental House Angelina

    Rental House Angelina

    Holiday Guesthouse Rooms, Apartments Accommodation Neapolitan Riviera Corso Reginna, Maiori Amalficoast Salerno Campania Italy

you are here: Home Basilicata Potenza and its province Roccanova

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Roccanova

Description

Town in the province of Potenza, situated on a ridge between the rivers Agri and Sinni, Roccanova features a typically medieval urban structure. It is also famous for its vast vineyards, that produce fine wines, such as: Grottino of Roccanova, that by the local traditions, are still preserved, in wooden barrels in the tuff rock caverns and cellars.
It was mentioned for the first time in an official document of 1276 and in Norman times it was an important stronghold of County of Chiaromonte. In the XII century it became fief of the Rinaldo, and shortly after, the town was ceded by Charles I of Anjou to Guglielmo della Marra, then to the Carafa and finally to the Colonna of Stigliano.
Recent excavations have unearthed many relics from the VII to IV centuries B.C., confirming that the area was inhabited by Greek settlers. These findings are partly preserved in the Museum of Siris in Policoro and partly in the Museum of Taranto.
Sites of Interest:
- the Church of St. Nicholas of Bari, built in the XII century. Seriously damaged, at the beginning of the XX century, by an earthquake, it was rebuilt, in 1980. Inside it houses a wooden group statue representing the Annunciation, by the sculptor Patalano (1707);
- the XVIII century Church of San Rocco;
- the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie (XV century);
- the Sanctuary of Madonna della Serra, whose history is tied to the statue of Our Lady of Water, now preserved in the Church of St. Rocco;
- the Monastery of the Orsoleo, on the border between Roccanova and Sant'Arcangelo, whose construction began in 1474;
- the ruins of the Abbey of San Nilo (XIV century).

Map

This town web page has been visited 24,882 times.

Contact Basket

Click on the basket icon to create a list of structures you want to contact.

Choose language

italiano

english