Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

  • Hotel Accademia Trento

    Hotel Accademia Trento

    Quality 4 Stars Hotel Accommodation Restaurant Trento Alto Adige South Tyrol Trentino Italy

  • Hotel Terme Capasso Contursi Terme

    Hotel Terme Capasso Contursi Terme

    Quality 4 Stars Hotel Wellness Accommodation Beauty Center Thermal Swimming Pool SPA Contursi Terme Salerno Campania Italy

  • Ceramica Casola

    Ceramica Casola

    Positano style ceramic, ceramic dish, jar, objects pietra, handmade ceramic, hand-decorated lava stone table, Amalfi Coast, Positano,...

  • Villa Lara Amalfi

    Villa Lara Amalfi

    Quality Bed and Breakfast Charming Hotel Relais Accommodation Luxury Rooms Amalfi Coast Hotels Neapolitan Riviera Salerno Campania...

  • Amalfi Coast Destination Shore Excursions

    Amalfi Coast Destination Shore Excursions

    Car Service Tours Transfers and Private Naples Shore Excursions Shuttle Amalfi Neapolitan Riviera Naples Airport Sorrento Positano...

you are here: Home Trentino Alto Adige Trento, Monte Bondone, Adige Valley Mezzocorona

Most viewed in Mezzocorona

  • Mezzacorona Wines Dolomites

    Mezzacorona cultivates its own grapes in heart of the Dolomites along the Italian Alps. Every field is planted with single varietals and 100% single varietal wines are offered to the final consumer. The climate of the Italian Dolomites is characterized...

  • Bertagnolli Trentino Grappa

    The origin of Premiata Distilleria G. Bertagnolli dates back to 1870 when the rich landowner of one of the largest wineries in the Piana Rotaliana Giulia de Kreutzenberg married Edoardo Bertagnolli, forebear of the family and heir to an established pharmaceutical...

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Mezzocorona

Description

Mezzocorona (Kronmetz or Deutschmetz in German) is a town in the province of Trento, located in the Piana Rotaliana, a plain enclosed between the river Adige and Noce, famous for the cultivation of vines stretches that produces fine wines, and that have earned the nickname of "the most beautiful vineyard in Europe."
The name is composed of the words "Crown" (the actual castle of San Gottardo) and "Mezzo" (the ancient name of Piana Rotaliana).
The area was inhabited since the dawn of prehistory, as evidenced by the rich and important findings brought to light (burials in perfect condition, ceramic containers, axes, polished stones), and, in 2004, near the Castle San Gottardo, paleontologists have found dinosaur footprints dating back to the late Triassic.
The Adige river and the Via Claudia Augusta made it a road junction of primary importance, as evidenced by the interesting traces of Roman sites in the Giontec and Drei Cane.
With the purchase of the Castle "Crown of Mezo" by Meinhard II, jurisdiction over the village passed to the Lords of Mezo and, subsequently, to the Counts Firmian, who held it until 1824.

Sites of Interest:
- the villages of the Neolithic age in the locality Dos de la Forca and Mezzocorona Borgonuovo;
- the dinosaur footprints near the Castle of St. Gotthard;
- the sites of Roman Giontec (extended village built between the I and the VI centuries A.D.) and the Drei Cane;
- Castel San Gottardo, nestled in the crevices of the rock wall that overlooks Mezzocorona, is one of the most important examples of buildings within caves, which in Trentino are called "crowns" (hence, of course, the name of the country). Currently only the ruins are visible, though they are easily recognizable the main portal of the church of San Gottardo and the main palace. Definitely built earlier than the XII century;
- Firmian Castle, residence of the counts of the same name, built in 1480 by Nicholas I of Firmian at the foot of the cliff, equipped with a square tower and a crenellated wall, surrounded by a deep moat, in the second half of the XVIII century, the castle was one floor high, and in the following century, the stables and the worker's house were added. Also interesting is the Chapel of St. John of Nepomuceno, with beautiful wooden statue of St. Gotthard, taken from the castle on the cliff, and numerous portraits of the Firmian Family;
- Firmian Palace, now the seat of the municipal administration, with splendid paintings by Paul Troger on the second floor, with XVII century fireplaces, wood paneling and tapestries;
- Martini Palace, dating from the second half of the XVII century, surrounded by vineyards, is now owned by the Raiffeisenkasse of Mezzocorona. The building features a XVII century façade, richly frescoed with stucco, fine furnishings, fabrics, wood paneling and prints;
- the Church of Santa Maria Assunta, already mentioned in documents of the XII century, was rebuilt and enlarged several times in the following centuries, until 1862, when the existing Gothic building was demolished in place of the current one. On the façade of the Bell Tower appears an inscription which depicts the Om de Fèr, the legendary slayer of the basilisk.
- the Mountain, a place of relaxation and tranquility, ideal for walks and excursions on foot or by mountain bike, also accessible by cable car.

Map

This town web page has been visited 35,850 times.

Choose language

italiano

english