Gambolò is a town of the Lomellina area, in the province of Pavia, located a short distance from Vigevano and the right bank of the Ticino. The earliest traces of human settlement were found along the banks of the stream Terdoppio between Gambolò and the present district of Garbana, which date back to the late Mesolithic period and Bronze Age and the traces of a necropolis which date back to the Celtic times (III century B.C.) .
Gambolò is often associated with a Roman settlement, built by Publius Cornelius Scipio during the Punic wars, at the times of the famous battle "ad Ticinum" of 218 B.C..
The first documentary evidence of the existence of a village with a castle equipped with defensive walls date backs to the XI century. In the XIV century the town was under the control of the Beccaria Family, that lost their heritage in 1475, after the death of their last heir Agostino.
Today of the defensive constructions of the ancient city walls remain only three of the four portal entrances, known as Porta Milan, Porta Turin and Porta Genova, named by the direction towards each one of them is addressed.
The Castle of Gambolò is one of the finest examples of a strong fenced fortress: the porch and driveway are of the XVII century. At present, it houses the Archaeological Museum of Lomellino and preserves inside about 3,500 exhibits found in the area dating between the Mesolithic Ages and the III century A.D. One of its halls is dedicated to the Celtic and Roman funeral rites.
Among the religious buildings worth of mention: the Church of Saint Eusebius, built between the V and the VI century on the ruins of a Roman temple dedicated to Minerva; the Church of St Paul (XVI century) and the Parish Church, enlargement of the oldest church of the area, entitled to San Gaudenzio, dating the XII century.