The name derives from the combination of the two names of the local districts: Cavallino (named so because the area once home to herds of horses) and Treporti (referring to the special position occupied, near the three ports situated on three different channels).
Municipality in the province of Venice, situated on a peninsula and crossed the river Sile, which separates it from Jesolo, the territories assigned to Cavallino-Treporti adjoin with those of the regional capital. The economy is devoted to fishing and agriculture, to which tourism has been added, thanks to the presence of a long sandy beach and the proximity of Venice and the lagoon islands. The town is famous for an annual rowing race (the Palio), in which compete the twelve municipal districts.
Traces found indicate that the first permanent settlement dates from the period of colonization by the Romans. During the early Middle Ages several centers developed, that shortly after, were abandoned in favor of Venice, which, in the meanwhile had assumed great importance. Under the domain of the Serenissima, the hostile marsh area was reclaimed and made suitable for the foundation of new centers and the expansion of the existing ones. After the fall of the Venetian Republic, the two urban cores became districts of Burano, until 1923, when Burano was absorbed from Venice and, at its turn, became a district. Only in 1999 Cavallino-Treporti regained its autonomy.
- the Church of Santa Maria Elizabeth in Cavallino, built in the first half of the XVIII century and restored several times over the following ones, features a classical appearance with a façade outlined by half columns and topped by a pediment, enriched by a bas-relief depicting the visit of Mary to St. Elizabeth. Inside are preserved altars dating from the XVIII century, a XIX century organ and several interesting contemporary paintings;
- the Church of the Holy Trinity in Treporti, which was built in 1684, in place of the earlier XVI century chapel also dedicated to the Trinity. It has undergone several renovations over the years and two aisles can been added. It features an elegant façade and is flanked by a Bell Tower with a square base enriched by mullioned windows, a belfry surmounted by a spire;
- the late XVIII century Church of Santa Maria della Neve in Lio Piccolo;
- the Convent dai Camini Rotondi (with round fireplaces) in Mesole;
- Villa Saccagnana is a building in Renaissance style;
- the late XVII century Palazzo Boldù in Lio Piccolo.