Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Sicily Sicily Northern Coast Castellammare del Golfo

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Castellammare del Golfo

Castellammare del Golfo - Scopello Castellammare del Golfo - Scopello

Castellammare del Golfo - Scopello

Castellammare del Golfo - Scopello

Description

Overlooking the homonymous gulf at the foot of the Inici Mount, Castellammare del Golfo is a charming seaside in the province of Trapani. It was founded as "Emporium Segestanorum", port of the nearby town of Segesta. In the IX century the Arabs built the first nucleus of the castle, expanded by the Normans in the following centuries. After the settling down of the tunny-fishing grounds and of the loader for embarking corn, the town played an important role for the main trading way towards the inside of the island. In 1560 it was the first village close to the Pietro di Luna's castle.
The castle stands on the port of the town, in a very strategic position. Probably built in the Islamic period, it was restored both by the Normans and by the Swabians; it was destroyed and rebuilt during the Aragonese domination in the XIV century with the actual aspect.
The Church of Santa Maria del Soccorso is set in the histric centre of the town; it was realised in the XVI century and renovated during the XVII and the XVIII century. Inside it is possible to admire the vault decorated with frescoes by Giuseppe Tresca in 1768 and a XVII century majolica statue of the Virgin.

Map

This town web page has been visited 20,926 times.

Choose language

italiano

english