Breguzzo is a small town in the province of Trento, located at the mouth of the homonymous valley which opens into the Adamello mountain range, being one of the gateways to the Nature Park of Adamello Brenta. The town's name appears for the first time in a document of 927, in the will of the Bishop of Verona, Notkerio.
Following the discovery, in 1856, of a dagger dating from the Bronze Age, as well as several human and pottery remains, historians unanimously agree that the area was inhabited since ancient times. In 1915 Breguzzo submitted a devastating fire that destroyed about two thirds of the main centre.
Sites of Interest:
- the ruins of the Fortress, situated on a rocky outcrop from where it is possible to admire a superb panorama over Busa Tione of the Brenta Group, from Breguzzo to Bondo of Gavardina and to the upper Valley del Chiese, making it an ideal location for the control of the territories and the Roman road below. Mentioned for the first time in a document, dated 1230, it was part of a small and well-designed military system;
- the ancient XIII century Church of St. Andrew, which has submitted several renovations over the later centuries. In 1862 it was deconsecrated, in conjunction with the opening of a new church, located closer to town and dedicated to the same Saint, into which were transferred all the existing works, such as the altarpiece, attributed to Palma il Giovane, a baptismal font in red marble, the carved wooden benches, a statue of the Saint, several relics, a large candelabra and other artworks;
- the source Acquaforte (from where springs a ferruginous thermal water with therapeutic properties);
- the Nature Park of Adamello-Brenta;
- the mines of the Val di Breguzzo.