The name is probably of Roman origins and derives from "Anthesius. The town is situated in the Valtournenche at over a thousand meters of altitude, and enjoys a picturesque view of the Cervino. The municipality is the main centre and features several districts, spread over both banks of the creek Marmore, in a pristine landscape, rich of meadows and pine forests.
The earliest inhabitants of the area, that populated the whole region in pre-Roman times, were the Salassi, the union of the local tribes and Celts, that arrived in Val d'Aosta region between the VIII and V centuries B.C. from central Europe. This population of strong warriors was defeated by the Romans, that arrived in the area in the I century B.C. The Romans had understood the strategic importance of the area, representing one of the easiest routes to cross the Alps and also gave to the town the name of an important Roman family that settled in the area. During the Middle Ages the town was under the jurisdiction of the Lords of Cly, a branch of the house of Challant, descendants of Bosone III and Bosone IV. The fief included, in addition to Antey: Chambave, Deìmoz, Verrayes, Saint Denis and almost the entire valley of the Valais. For a period, because of economic problems, some territories were sold. After the death of Bonifacio and Godfrey, the sons of Bosone IV, the lands were ceded to Boniface II, then to Pietro II, and finally to his brother Gottfried II. In 1331 the Savoy conquered the possessions of Boniface II for a first time, and in 1376, once they deprived the Lords of Cly of the feud, the Savoy finally administered them directly. In 1550, Antey was awarded to the Spanish General Morales, who a few years later, was accused of high treason, and deprived of the rule. The jurisdiction passed to Giovanni Fabbri di Dues, Secretary of State of the Savoy, and at the latter's death, to Pietro Filiberto Roncas. He ceded his properties to Filiberto Bergera, and finally, in 1778, the fief passed to the family of Gozani d'Olmo, who held it until 1843.
Not to miss:
The Parish Church dedicated to St. Andrew, an ancient building, that dates back to the XIII century and has undergone numerous restorations over the centuries. It was built near an ancient medieval stronghold, of which remains only a bell tower built in 1555 with mullioned windows and an octagonal spire. The body of the organ goes back to the XIX century and is constructed with panels of walnut wood, decorated with carvings depicting musical instruments. Of particular value is also the late Gothic stone portal. The church currently features a rectangular plan shape with one major nave and two aisles.
The Chapel of the Addolorata di Petit Antey of the early XVIII century, was considered the first parish church. The façade features a fresco dated 1863 by the painter Curta.
The Chapel of Cerian, founded in 1709, features three paintings on the façade: the left one depicts St. Grato, at the center of the apparition of the Virgin of Lourdes and to the right one depicts Saint Lucia. The gilded wooden altar of the XVIII century, preserves a crucifix of the XVII-XIX century.
The small Chapel of Hèrin, dedicated to Santa Barbara, was built in 1722, on the façade are still visible remains of paintings depicting saints.
The small Church of Navillod, entitled to St. John the Baptist, was built before 1637 and expanded with the addition on the right of a choir in 1844. During the XX century all the furnishings except sacred altar in carved and gilded and polychrome crucifix, went stolen. The building is located in a position that offers a spectacular view of the Cervino.
The Church of Fiernaz, built in 1837 and features a frescoed façade and a Bell tower of 1891.
The Chapel of Chaillen, enlarged in 1851, presents, on the front, three frescoes depicting: on the left, St. Peter, the center the Holy Cross on the Golgotha, and on the right St. Andrew.
The Chapel of Lod, built in 1726 and dedicated to St. Peter in Chains, the façade features two oil paintings of the artist Zanone, depicting on the left St. Peter and on the right the Good Shepherd.
The Chapel of Buisson.
Lake Lod, a small district located at more than 1400 meters of altitude, near a picturesque lake surrounded by forests and rare botanical species.
I Rescards, mountain homes built in wood. Some are still visible in Avout and in Hèrin.
The remains of the arches of the Ru of the Pan Perdu, irrigation canals that date back to the XII-XIV centuries.