Valle Aurina (Ahrntal in German) is a town in the province of Bolzano, South Tyrol, located in the homonymous valley. According to studies, the pre-Roman name derives from the root "aur-" widespread in the Alps.
As witnessed by some documents, already in the year 1000, the parish was the Catholic Church landmark of the whole valley and the construction of other independent parishes, in the neighboring villages, was considered only in the XX century. Always obliged to rural harvest rules, the municipality was able to concentrate its centre, near the church, only through the political reconstruction of post- World War II. In addition, the intervention of the Montanari Waterworks made it more secure against possible torrential flooding of the valley.
In recent decades the town has increased its investments in order to encourage tourism and craft activities, diverting concentration from the agricultural sector alone.
Surrounded by greenery and embraced by the Alps, Ahrntal allows visitors to engage in hiking through the trails, to reach the nearby ski areas of Klausberg and Speikboden and fully enjoy the beautiful scenery and relax.
Sites of Interest:
- the Parish Church dedicated to St. John the Baptist, built between 1783 and 1785, is a magnificent building built in Baroque style and flanked by a large domed bell tower. Inside you can admire several paintings by Joseph Schöpf and beautiful Baroque style stained glass windows;
- the XVII century Chapel of Our Lady of Loreto in Cadipietra;
- the Parish of San Sebastian, in Lutago;
- the Church of San Giacomo, in Riobianco, in which you can admire a most valuable Gothic altar;
- the Church of St. Martin and its imposing tower, located in the valley of San Martino. Mentioned for the first time in official documents in 1250, it was destroyed in 1342 and rebuilt in the early XVI century;
- the Mineralogical Museum, the fruit of passionate study and work lasted decades, in which it is possible to observe minerals from all over the World;
- Memorial Museum of the brothers Oberkofler: the priest and artist Johann Baptist (1895 - 1969) and the journalist and poet Josef Georg (1889 - 1962).