Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Apulia Imperial Puglia Trinitapoli

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Trinitapoli

Description

Founded by Abruzzi shepherds in the XVII century and known as Casal de Palia, the settlement soon became a real village and the number of the population increased very quickly when the inhabitants of the nearby areas escaped here to avoid the spread of the malaria plague.
Trinitapoli located on the lower part of Tavoliere of Puglia, is a rich area of Hypogeum "underground tombs and pre-Christian temples". The prehistoric archaeological exhibits are exposed at the local Museum of Ipogei. In the Archaeological Park of Trinitapoli there are two hypogeums: one known as "of the Bronzes" and the other "of the Avori". Hypogea are important structures carved into the limestone to celebrate rituals of propitiatory character, probably related to hunting and fertility of the harvest and then reused as collective tombs.
Built in 1767, the majestic Cathedral of St. Stephen, that inside preserves a niche with an icon that features Our Lady of Constantinople and the remains of Father Joseph Maria Leone.
The Church of Our Lady of Loreto, built in 1204, features a beautiful Greek-byzantine style rock fresco. The origins of devotion to Our Lady of Loreto go back to the early centuries, just after the year 1000, when this fresco of the Virgin was accidentally discovered under a hedge by a shepherd named Loreto. The small chapel was later enlarged in 1827 and replaced by the current sanctuary.
Not to miss: the Church of St. Joseph, the Church of Cristo Lavoratore, the Church of St. Ann (originally of the Holy Trinity) and the convent of Cappuccini friars.

Map

This town web page has been visited 16,839 times.

Choose language

italiano

english