Situated on the North-western edge of the Murge plain, Canosa di Puglia is one of the most important archaeological sites in the region. Important centre of the Daunia and of the Apulia the city flourished with splendour at the times of the Ancient Greece and Imperial Rome.
Of the Dauno period remain the tombs of "Cerberus", "dell'Oplita", "Lagrasta", "Monterisi-Rossignoli" and "Boccaforno". Whilst of the Roman period remain the Bridge over the Ofanto, the Bagnoli Mausoleum, the Arch of Traiano, the Temple of Giove Taurus, the Amphitheatre, the fortified walls, the baths Lomuscio, Tower Casieri, the Mausoleum of Barbarossa and some famous epigraphs. Of the early Christian period remain the mosaic of the Cross of Solomon in the Basilica of San Leucio, the Baptistery of San Giovanni and the excavations of St. Peter.
The castle, situated on the site of the acropolis of "Castrum Canus", was built by the Normans, using the same materials of the pre-Roman and Roman constructions.
The early Christian Basilica of San Leucio stands on the ruins of a Greek temple, and during the construction of the foundations, some of the original columns and blocks of the cell walls were used. In the IX century an adjoining chapel was built in the apse, which was used for burial rituals.
The Cathedral of San Sabino, built during the Lombard domination by Arechi II, has the appearance of a basilica in Apulian-Romanesque style with one nave and two aisles, covered by a barrel vault, whilst the central one with two canopy domes. In the XIX century, the structure submitted refurbishments and expansions.
Not to miss: the pulpit (masterpiece of the artist Acceptus, dated approximately 1060) and the bishop's throne (artwork of Romualdo, made by the will of the Bishop Ursone 1079-1089): a monumental pointed seat, like a canopy, supported by two elephants. Is also worth visiting: the Mausoleum of Boemondo, a small square shaped building, edified against the wall of the transept, in which, the traditions believe that the remains of this hero crusader were buried between 1111 and 1118,. Of particular interest is the bronze door by Roger de Melfi (1118 ca.).
Palazzo Casieri, seat of the Civic Archaeological Museum, offers a considerable display of historical material, distributed in ten rooms, including early Christian oil lamps found in the catacombs of St. Sophia, the funerary statue of Orante and some Roman portraits.