City in the province of L'Aquila, situated in the Valley Peligna, Sulmona is a charming city and home, not only of the famous "confetti" (almond candies), appreciated world-wide, but also of the famous Roman poet Ovidio ("Sulmo mihi patria est" - Sulmona is my home). Founded according to tradition by Suleiman, a companion of Aeneas, the ancient settlement "opium dum" Italico, whose original location is probably traceable on the heights of Colle Mitra, where a mighty walled polygonal testifies to the presence of a pre-Roman fortified settlement, however, is mentioned for the first time only at the time of second War between Tito Livio and Hannibal. It became part of the Roman Empire after the Social War of 90 B.C. During the Norman domain, impressive civil works were completed, such as the aqueduct, and the University of Canon law. The defeat of Conrad of Swabia and the rise of Anjou, the Ghibellines of Sulmona suffered the heavy consequences, nevertheless, the continued population growth led to the foundation of new villages and the extension of the original walls to in globe all these districts, gave the old town its present form.
The city features numerous attractions, among which are worth of mention:
- the Shrine of Hercules, that until recently was supposed to be the original location of the home of the poet Ovidio;
- the Swabian aqueduct, built in 1256 by King Manfredi
- the Hermitage entitled to Celestine V, located at the foot of Mount Morrone, which dates back to the XIII century and preserves inside the memories of the hermit monk Pietro da Morrone, who became later, Pope Celestine V;
- the Abbey of Morronense, located just outside the city center. It features imposing forms and belongs to the Celestine order monks, founded by Pope Celestine V;
- the ancient gates to the city (porta Iapasseri, porta Molina, porta Pacentrana, porta Saccoccia, porta Romana e porta della Tomba);
- the Church of Santa Chiara, a splendid example of Abruzzo Baroque style of the XIII century but with some refurbished elements, completed in 1711;
- the Church of the Annunciation, which features an imposing façade that encloses various architectural styles (late Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque), flanked by the spire 65 meters tall Bell Tower;
- the ancient Church of St. Francis, with its late-Gothic portal and the interior in the Baroque style;
- the Cathedral of San Panfilo, with ancient origins, it submitted over the centuries, serious damage reported by several earthquakes and of the original Romanesque style remain only part of the apses, the double colonnade of the nave and the crypt; whilst the portal is of 1391. Inside it preserves precious frescoes, a XIV century wooden crucifix, an XVIII century choir and the sarcophagus of Bishop de Petrinis of 1422.
- the Church of the Holy Trinity, with its hidden façade, as it is not aligned with the rest of the street;
- the Church of Santa Maria della Tomba, that features a typical Abruzzo style horizontal crowned façade and a splendid late-Gothic portal;
- the Civic Theatre Maria Caniglia, one of the largest in the region;
- the Fountain Sant'Agata.