It 's a town in the province of L'Aquila, situated on the slopes of Mount Lo Pago, at short distance from the river Salto, surrounded by the luscious green of the Natural Reserve of the Gorges of San Venancio. Located along the route of the ancient road between Celano and Foggia. It was formerly located on the hill of Castellone and the Roman Castrum Radiani became considerably important throughout the Middle Ages, until in the XV century its inhabitants decided to occupy an area further downstream which currently appears to be the center of the town: At present "Old Raiano" is known as the district of St. Anthony.
Not to miss:
- the Church of St. Anthony, originally a small country church, in which are preserved a stone font of 1527 and a bronze donation plate of XVI century;
- the Church of St. John, incorporated in the structure of the former Sardi Palace;
- the Church of Our Lady of Contra, built along the banks of the river Aterno, it is one of the oldest churches in the area and features a series of Roman inscriptions an a rudimentary choir in stone.
- the Church of Our Lady of Grace, of early medieval origins;
- the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore with an imposing Baroque façade;
- the Clock Tower, located on a bastion above the oldest gateway to the town;
- the Church of St. Andrew and the Capuchin Monastery;
- the Church of S. Onofrio and the Convent of the Zoccolanti;
- the Hermitage of San Venanzio, located between the Mount Uranio and Mount Mentino and built in the XV century;
- the richly decorated noble palaces and mansions .