It is a town in the province of L'Aquila, situated in the Upper Valley of Tirino, Capestrano is a lovely town dominated by the presence of the castle Piccolomini. It was probably founded by inhabitants of Aufinum, that sheltered in this area to avoid the repeated barbarian incursions. In the III century it became fief under the rule of Tolomeo of Raiano, ceded in the later centuries to the Count Pietro of Celano, to Antonio Piccolomini and then to the Kingdom of Naples. In 1934, during an excavation, the famous statue of Capistrano was brought to the light, today preserved in the Archaeological Museum of Chieti. About 2 meters high, dating from the VI century B.C., it depicts a warrior with an italic helmet (which probably served to protect the troops in life and was placed as a tribute on the heads of dead warriors) and with a inscription in Piceno at the base.
Not to miss:
- the Monastery of San Pietro ad Oratorium, founded by Benedictines in 752, built in the Romanesque style, it features three naves, embellished with Byzantine frescoes of the XIII century;
- the Convent of San Giovanni, built in the XV century and entitled to San Giovanni of Capestrano, who died in Belgrade during a crusade. It has undergone many alterations over the centuries and within the structure are preserved several relics of the Saint;
- the Piccolomini Castle, commissioned by Antonio Piccolomini, Duke of Amalfi, which was an impressive fortified baronial residence. It has a triangular layout and in courtyard there are still evident traces of a XV century well and a tall square tower.