It 's a town in the province of L'Aquila, situated in the valley of Sulmona, on the ancient road Sannitica. The name derives, probably, from the Latin "bona ara (altar of the goddess Ceres or Bona: in fact the current Church of Our Lady of the Snow sits where an ancient Roman temple, dedicated to their goddess of abundance and of which traces still remain ).
The earliest records date back to the VI century, although recent findings evidence the presence of "villas" of earlier ages. Since 1079, with Count Simon di Sangro, begins the long rule of the Sangro family that contribute to the economic, social and cultural development of the town until the end of the dynasty in 1759.
Not to miss:
- the Church of SS. Rosario, overlooking the square and ended in 1602. Built in the late Baroque style and inside features a majestic altar in carved and decorated wood;
- the Palazzo Ducale, also known as Rock of the Scorpion, built around the year 1000;
- the Church of Our Lady of the Snows, built on the remains of an ancient Roman temple dedicated to Ceres, as evidenced by the discovery of a tombstone with an inscription that quotes Helvia, priestess of the goddess, and often puts in discussion its present faith functions;
- the XIV century Church of Santa Maria degli Angeli, in which houses a remarkable triptych;
- the Church of St. Joseph in the district, which has been entitled with the same name;
- the Church of Santa Maria della Pace, in Contrada Torre de 'Nolfi.