Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Valle d'Aosta Aosta Surroundings Saint-Christophe

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Saint-Christophe

Description

The name derives from the patron saint of the place: St Christopher. The town is located in the middle of Val d'Aosta, on the hill east of the regional capital which offers a splendid view of Mount Emilius, the Glacier Rutor, the Pic Carrel and the Dames de Challant.
The town's centre combines tradition and modernity. The flat area of the town accommodates a large business and trade centre and an airport, essential facilities for the local economy.
The archaeological remains found in the area Pigneto, including cylindrical funerary urn, a series of plates, jugs and other objects dating from the first century, evidence that the hill of Saint Christophe was inhabited since pre-Roman times. In the Middle Ages, Europe was affected by leprosy and in Val d'Aosta many hospitals were built: in Saint Christophe the most famous one was The Maladière founded by the Parish and located along the road to Aosta. The hospital features a large possession of lands and a chapel dedicated to St Mary Magdalene, in which the tomb stone of St. Grato is preserved, to whom were attributed several miracles. In 1425, the disease in the country disappeared completely and The Maladière had no reason to exist. Destined to deteriorate disastrously, in 1624 it was leased. In 1647 and 1775, because of frequent rains, two floods destroyed streams and crops and damaged homes in the villages of Thuvex and Meysattaz .

Not to miss:
The Church of Saint Christophe, which is located on the hillside, below the village of Meysattaz. Founded in the second half of the XII century, originally featured one single nave, enlarged a later time with two aisles. It presents a simple façade and a bell tower of the XV century and preserves inside a Baroque altar and valuable paintings, and the tombstone of San Grato. This miraculous stone which dates back to the V century, was conducted from Aosta to the Maladière to treat people with one of the frequent epidemics that afflicted the people in that era. The parish also contains a polychrome wooden statue depicting the saint.
The Chapel in Senin, entitled to San Michele and Santa Barbara, it was founded in 1604.
The Chapel in Sorreley, dedicated to St. Gotthard, was built in 1766. Inside it preserves an altar in polychrome wood dating from the XVIII century.
The Chapel in Veynes, entitled to San Rocco, was built in the XVII century. The building lies on the road that leads to Blavy and is adorned inside and on the façade with paintings (1860) of the artist Jean-Laurent Grange.
The Chapel in Nicolin, dedicated to St. Anne, located on the way to Quart and dates back to the XVI century. The façade is decorated with frescoes by the artist Luciano Bartoli.
The Chapel in Parlèaz dedicated to St. Margaret and Bernard, is located along the road to Blavy. The original date of construction is unknown, it was rebuilt in the XIX century and restored some time later. Inside it peserves a polychrome wooden altar dating from the XVIII-XIX century.
The Chapel of Frissonnière.
The Castle of Saint-Christophe Sorreley today Passerin d'Entreves, is believed to have been built on the ruins of an ancient Roman villa. The building features different architectural styles. The oldest wing dates back to 1200 and was partially damaged by fire in the XVIII century. The imposing structure, bordered by round and square towers, has a small chapel entitled to the Holy Virgin located in the area south, which keeps a wooden statue depicting the Virgin and Child (XIV or XV century). The castle refurbished several times by different owners such as: the De Sorreley, the De Plèoz and the Passerin d'Entrèves, features also a beautiful park from where it is possible to enjoy a splendid view.
The cut Pyramid, located in the Eastern part of the village of Veynes, and bears an inscription on one side, unfortunately incomprehensible. According to popular tradition this stone marks the beginning of the construction of the chapel of Veynes.

Map

This town web page has been visited 17,392 times.

Choose language

italiano

english