The name derives from the Latin word "pullus" which means soft ground. The town is located exactly in the center of Val d'Aosta and is composed of various villages. It is wedged between Aosta, Saint Christophe, Quart, Brissogne and Charvensod, with its boundaries marked by the streams Comboè and Moriond. Divided in half by the river Arpisson, the larger part has been built on the right hand side of the Dora Baltea. Although adjacent to the main centre of the Region, it jealously defends itself against the contamination of overbuilding and its green pastures and paths that trace the mountains are densely covered by pine forests. The peace and tranquility of nature inspire the people to preserve their lifestyle, taking advantage, at the same time, of the fast advancement of technology and modernity. In fact, the municipal area dell'autoporto hosts one of the most modern facilities of craft, industry and commercial nature of the whole alpine area and a multipurpose conference center, the green Grand-Place, expanded over 162,000 square meters with large sports and recreation areas.
The local archaeological findings evidence that Pollein was inhabited since the Bronze Age. Between the XIV and the XVI centuries, the center submitted various dominations. It was submitted to the Lords of Quart, whose origins are unknown, but with major importance in the history of the Aosta Valley. Even the Lords of the Gate of St. Orso in Aosta, now known as the Porta Pretoria, lived in the tower located above this important access to the city. Controlling this gate they were able to collect tolls, storing large amounts of money and greatly enhance their power. They soon extended their dominion over a vast area and took over a sixth of the region. Pollein also belonged to the counts of Savoy, from the XIV to the XVI century, to the Montagny and to the bishops of Aosta. The later centuries narrate the same history of the nearby towns of the whole Val d'Aosta.
Not to miss:
The Parish of St. George, whose existence is attested by historical records dating back to 1176, and was almost entirely rebuilt in 1685. It presents a very simple façade with a large arch surmounted by a pediment below where the entrance lies and features fine painted panels. Inside painted vaults and a wooden statue of St. George, recently restored, dating from the XV century. Of great beauty, the Romanesque-Gothic bell tower. From the XII to the XVI century it belonged ti the Prevostura the Gran San Bernardo.
The Chapel of Santa Barbara and Madonna di ogni Potere if Chenaux which are richly frescoed.
The Chapel of the Marriage of the Virgin in Grand Pollein.
The Garden of the rocks in the park of the Grand-Place which preserves samples of all the different types of rock of mountains of Valle d'Aosta. It features trails and narrow roads that wind through hedges and trees.