Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Valle d'Aosta Aosta Surroundings Brissogne

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Brissogne

Description

The name derives from the Latin name Brittius, name of a private property of the area that belonged to the Family of the Lords that owned the castle, situated above the village, and of which today remains only a tower. The village is located exactly in the center of Val d'Aosta on the right bank of the Dora Baltea, near Mount Emilius, a few kilometers from Aosta. The area on which it stands, full of meadows, forests and lakes, is called Envers, due to limited daylight during the Winter and to the continuous shadow cast by the surrounding mountains. It is for this reason that the most important celebration of the town is called "feta de l'oumbra". Brissogne offers areas prepared for various sports such as: golf, tennis, beach volleyball, basketball, swimming and traditional sports of Val d'Aosta, such as: rebatta, palet, fiolet, tzan and also propose a large number of refreshment areas, if one cares to engage in trekking along the many paths that trace the area.
The discovery of archaeological finds has allowed to hypothesize that the Val d'Aosta was inhabited since prehistoric times, around 3000 B.C. groups of shepherds and hunters. In 143 B.C. the community of Celtic-Ligurian called Salassi, were defeated by the Romans, who, fifty years later founded the colony of Eporedia, today Ivrea, and the military colony Augusta Praetoria Salassorum, today Aosta in 25 B.C. After the fall of Western Roman Empire, the Val d'Aosta was subjected to the Burgundians, in the VI century to the Ostrogoths. In 568 the Lombards, defeated by the King of Burgundy ceded the territory to the Franks, till '888, when it returned to the Kingdom of Burgundy. With the death of Rudolph III, in the year 1000, Brissogne was incorporated into the Holy Roman Empire and later became part of the County of the Savoy. In the XIII century, there was a succession of battles between the feudal lords for dominance of the territory until the town was assigned to the medieval Lords of Quart and in 1700 it passed on to the Avise.

Not to miss:

The remains of the medieval castle built in the year 1000. Today of the ancient building remains only a tower.
The Parish of St. Catherine of great simplicity, which features a churchyard from where you can admire the splendid panorama of the valley.
The Chapel of Our Lady of the Snows in Etabloz.
The Chapel of San Rocco in Neyran.

Map

This town web page has been visited 14,306 times.

Choose language

italiano

english